Oil Usage

I have a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 5.0 and AOD, of course. It has

209,000+ miles. While it still runs great and shifts firmly, it does use quite a bit of oil, about a quart every 400-500 miles. I wish it was a leak, but it's not.

Ordinarily you can't see any visible smoke, but when you're accelerating moderately or more you can see a mild to moderate fog behind you.

I've never been a snake oil kind of guy, but I've never had a car with mileage this high. Would something like STP be advisable? Considering that winter is setting in, I don't really like the thoughts of thickening the oil or using a higher viscosity (I still use the recommended 10w30), but perhaps the benefits would outweigh the dangers.

Thanks in advance,

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I am far from an expert in this matter but I own a '90 Grand Marquis with 140k on it. I have been using Lucas Oil Stabilizer for quite a while now at every oil change. It replaces one quart, 4 quarts oil, one quart Lucas. The car does not burn one drop of oil.

I know I might be wrong but for all the years I have been driving, over 40, this is the one additive that I have complete confidence in and believes it works.

Reply to
cyclops

cyclops opined

Well.. I know Lucas AT fix works.. so maybe!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Good info. You've used it in a tranny?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

CJB opined in news:FGLmd.12443$pP5.6185@trnddc05:

OD Slip in summer heat, 50,000 miles so far no problems Also installed aftermarket cooler

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This is the same stuff as the engine stuff?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

N o, it's for AT use!