P vs. N

? I could have sworn my cousin's windstar had all 4 forward w/OD off,

Which is why I prefer the older vac modulated / TV cable driven trannies...no computer deciding if you're allowed to manually downshift or not (which, in theory, sounds good... it'll possibly prevent damage to the trans, but what happens if the computer fails / glitches out? AFAIK, you'd be limited to 2nd gear, if lucky, )

And yea, I know convetor lockup is now computer controlled (didn't used to be in the oldTV based AOD (RWD) and AXOD (FWD) trannies... Or in the C5, for that matter (it used centrifugal lockup, so it'd literally lockup in all 3 forward gears, if the RPMs were high enough...)

Back to the original subject, I, myself wouldn't bother putting the vehicle in Neutral at a stop. If I was going to be there long enough to get my foot tired from holding the brakes, I'd just shut the damned engine off.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

3 forward gears, + lockup in 3rd, feels just like 4 forward...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Ok, that explains it, then.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

Correct. The admonition to put the vehicle out of gear when idling was to allow the engine to run faster to move cooling air through the rad (and tranny cooler) to avoid overheating. Idling fast in gear produces a fair amount of heat in the converter.

With today's computer controlled engines and transmissions, and electric cooling fans, this is no longer an issue.

Put it in drive and leave it there. As for OD, when running heavily loaded, towing a trailer, or running in hilly terrain, it is recommended to lock out OD (run in D insted of OD, or press the OD lockout button, depending on the car). This WILL increase fuel usage marginally, but the transmission does less "hunting" - therefore fewer application and release cycles, causing less wear on the trans components. Under these conditions you SHOULD be running at reduced speed anyway, so the fuel consumption hit IS marginal.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

It really makes no difference unless you are going to sit a long time.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Well I agree with you for general driving. However, if you are going to spend a lot of time stopped, or idling around on a very hot day, shifting to park might be a good idea. I would never do it in normal traffic, or even heavy stop and go traffic. However, I did severely overheat a transmission on my farm truck one day when I was observing some activity in a field. It was 100 degrees and I was moving occasionally and then sitting stopped with my foot on the brake for an extended period (and the AC was on full blast). The actual load on the transmission was minimal. Unfortunately this truck did not have an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White