Re: Repeatedly Running On A Low Tank?

>>hachiroku wrote: >> >>> You're right. You wait until it's full of metal particles and >>> starts to gel... >> >>jim's right. Real-world data relating wear to oil change >>frequency agree that wear is greatest for some time just after >>an oil change. >> >>"Testing with partially stressed oil, which contained some wear >>debris, produced less wear than testing with clean oil. This >>finding was unexpected and initially confusing (further inquiry >>suggested that the result was not so surprising, as many oil >>chemistries require time and temperature to enhance their >>effectiveness)." >>
> >>"Contrary to common perception, changing oil more often than >>recommended has been shown to increase engine wear. An ongoing >>University of Michigan study has shown that the greatest wear >>occurs in the first 3000km of an oil's life in any engine!" >>
> >>John > > Those two links are very interesting. Who would have thought that > dirty, old oil was better at lubricating an engine than clean fresh > oil? How much sand would you recommend I add to the crankcase when > I > change my oil to eliminate that dreaded first 3000 km of wear? I > wonder if just not replacing the oil filter would help reduce engine > wear? > > How did I get engines to last over 100,000 miles changing the oil > and > filter every 3,000 to 3,500 miles? > > In case you haven't guessed, I think the above is BS. Looks like an > April fool article to me.

I don't think it is a fake. I read a SAE Paper that drew similar conclusions but with a lot of caveats. As I recall the authors speculated that the new oil acted like a solvent and that it dissolved the wear reduction materials from the surface of components. This led to increase wear rates for those components.

You might want to read the follow abstracts of SAE papers:

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White