Somewhat off-topic

[ Another post reminded me of an engineering lunacy. ]

Years ago in the summer we kids would hitch hike out to a bay for swimming. [It was reasonably safe in those days.] At ten to thirteen years old we got to ride in many different kinds of vehicles.

One day we caught a ride in a Packard, about a '51 I believe. At our destination I could not find the door handle to get out. The driver told me to push the round button. I pressed this plastic button and the door swung open. I mentioned to the driver that it was a rather unsafe design. He conccurred and said that he had occasionally hit the button with his elbow, this in the days of no seatbelts. At twelve years old I was thinking what kind of nitwit engineer thought that one up.

Reply to
getupand

my dad had an old Kaiser with the buttons on the inside of the door to unlock it.. well one night all the kids were taken to the drivein, we were about 10 yrs. old and my cousin who was always the clown in the group always getting into trouble and getting the whippings... he hit the button with his elbow and rolled out the car, dad had to back up about 1/2 block to get him back into the car......

Reply to
jim