Autotrader search results

I was curious as to what percentage of Focus sales each bodystyle makes up in the US, so I searched autotrader and found this. Just as I guessed the sedan is the most popular followed by the 3dr hatch, then the wagon and 5 door hatch:

3dr: 4,955 4dr: 14,470 5dr: 1,625 wgn: 2,508

I find it interesting how you hardly ever see sedans in Europe (I went to Italy back in 2003 for about a week and din't see any) but over here the sedans are the most popular bodystyle.

Reply to
toycars26

I would guess that cars the size of the Focus are mainly used as second cars in the US. Most households then have access to a larger vehicle for transporting bulky items. Even as a Sedan most US cars can carry large loads.

For a number of reasons cars in Europe are much smaller. For example the Focus is the third from smallest Ford on sale here in the UK. If you only have one smallish car in the household, it needs to be versatile enough to do many things. The Focus Saloon (Sedan)is also seen by many in Europe as ugly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Very interesting. In my area (Ohio valley in the U.S.) I see just as many 3 door as 4 door models. When I started looking for a ZX3 (3 door) my local Ford dealers had way more 3 door models in stock than any other model (and this was before the Ford Family plan pricing for everyone started).

Reply to
Bill R

In alt.autos.ford.focus snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Exactly, whenever you have the luck seeing one of those, it's likely the owner is 70-80 years old. ;)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

The Focus Saloon (Sedan)is also seen by many in Europe as

I aggree.. It is ugly! Thats why I got a wagon and love it very much..

Ahmet

Turkey

'01 Focus wagon 1.6 liter

Reply to
dragon

So if a sedan is a saloon, what is a 'wagon'? An estate? Or a hatchback?

Reply to
Chris Game

An estate car. The full term is "station wagon", as in a vehicle useful for collecting people and their luggage from a railway station.

This is useful:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have to agree. The new Focus Saloon is more appealing it looks like a mini Mondeo to me and much more integrated than the old one where the boot section just looked like it was an afterthought.

Reply to
Andy Lee

Here's another page about the history of "station wagons".

Reply to
Tony Wesley