Why are new Euro Foci better?

The new Euro car appears to be upmarket to our North American Focus. It seems to have better mechanicals with more choices for engines, sleeker (but perhaps more conservative) styling, better brakes and snazzier interior. And what happened to ZTEC?

What's with Ford here in NA?

Ron

2000 ZX3
Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Hi Ford delivers, what the management is thinking that the consument is asking for. Here in Europe, especialy in Germany, you can drive faster, so you need better brakes. Also, the prices for petrol are much much higher, so you need more enginges, for economical drivers and for sporty ones. And also, we have a lot of diesel engines in even smaller cars then focus, so you have to present at least two diesel engines as well.

On the other hand, I think in Europe are a lot of luxury interiors only available for extra payment while these things are regular in the US market. But for me that is a benefit, there are lots of things they offer that I don`t need and that I don`t want to pay for. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

Correct.

To some extent, you do get what you pay for. I think the OP might be surprised to see how expensive the Focus is in Europe compared to the US (even the older models when they were basically the same car).

says 1 GBP = 1.92025 USD
Focus CL available from *?11,145 = $21,400 Focus Flight available from *?11,405 = $21,900 Focus LX available from *?11,800 = $22,660 Focus Zetec available from *?12,550 = $24,100 Focus Edge available from *?12,915 = $24,800 Focus Ghia available from *?14,050 = $27,000 Focus TDCi Sport available from ?16,000 = $30,724 Focus ST170 available from *?16,500 = $31,684

According to the PDF file available at that link, this is the estimated 'on the road' retail price including VAT.

So I'd say, despite the US spec Focuses not being up to the European standards, we are getting a relative bargain.

Reply to
Mark Olson

How much are they in the US?

Reply to
Kjell Harnesk

It's hard to be precise because taxes differ between states in the USA. Also, prices are negotiable and can vary widely between dealerships even in the same state. I am not knowledgeable about how this compares to selling practices in European countries. Also, there are lots of manufacturer's incentives (rebates, finance offers, etc.) to boost sales from time to time.

If I remember correctly the invoice price of my 2000 Focus SE wagon (estate) was just under $18 000 USD, with 2.0l Zetec-E, antilock brakes, A/C, cruise control, side air bags, etc. I haven't been keeping up but I imagine the market price for similarly equipped Focuses has come down since then.

I follow the uk.rec.motorcycles newsgroup where it is a generally accepted truism that in retail prices of many goods there is a correspondence of about $1 = £1, e.g., something that costs $100 in the US will cost approximately £100 in the UK, despite the fact that the pound is now close to $2.00 USD.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Yeah, but don't the Brits pay close to 20% more for their vehicles than their other European neighbors?

Mojo

Reply to
Mojo JoJo

The prices in Denmark are the highest of all EU countries. But that is only because of taxes. So in order to be affordable by any means, the base price is among the lowest in Denmark of all European countries. Base price may differ 2-4000 Euro between Sweden and Denmark, without tax. And, if you export from Denmark to another country, most of these taxes are deductible. /per

"Mojo JoJo" skrev i meddelandet news:Z_Iyd.11463$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
per

will give you an offer for a given car inthe US. You have to give a 5 digit US ZIP (postal) code becauseprices and availability vary regionally.
will give what they say is "true market value"for a given car in the US. Again, the ZIP code is needed.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

UK prices are a lot higher than other places. In Switzerland, the TDCi runs about 23'750 USD (all taxes in) and the ST170 is about 26'600 USD.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.