'02 F350 4WD front alignment..

I got forced into a center divider at about 40 mph yesterday by some punk kid in his riice burner hot-rod wannabe and the impact spun the wheel outta my hands. The alignment is off now and it doesn't appear as if anything is bent and anything's outta whack but the toe-in on the right side of the truck.

Local dealer wants over $300 for an alignment and another $90 if they have to install shims to correct any camber issues. This is a solid axle front.. Where the hell do the shims go?? Where the spindle bolts to the steering knuckle??

Why the &^*(^*( does the dealer zing me $300 for a relatively simple toe adjustment and then charge only $90 for what (to me) seems a more complex job?

The local offroad shop says $90 for the alignment whether it needs shims or not.. Quite a disparity between the two prices..

What's a "realistic" price for an alignment on this beast??

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

If it's just toe-in that you believe is off, you can do that adjustment yourself without a bunch of fancy machinery. By the way, how did you hit the right side on the median? Are you in England or were you attempting to drive backwards at 40 mph? Another thing, why didn't you just hold your ground and let the guy on the ricer eat it?

Reply to
Tyrone

The "median" was more like an island on a bizarre right turn lane. Picture 3 lanes. Farthest right lane "peels" off to the right and there's a triangular island separating this lane from the 2 that continue straight. Said dipshit kid decided he wanted to change lanes right in front of me so he could dart into the strip mall a half block up. No blinker, no nothing, just came over..

I actually did consider letting him drive under the truck (It's lifted with big tires) but then figured I'd probably end up on my side or worse. I didn't realize the island was quite so tall when I opted for my little collision avoidance excursion. I figured it was a normal curb sized curb and wouldn't realy be much of a bump.

I'd thought about breaking out the tape measure and the tolbox and getting toe set myself, but with a hit big enough to pull the wheel out of my hands, I want to check it out properly. I had the front end up in the air today and nothing feels loose and it's not making any odd noises when I cycle the steering lock to lock so it's probably ok, but since I make my living with this truck, it's better to be thorough.

Gonna call around to a few more dealers tomorrow. Funny, but I can't find an alignment or tire shop with a rack big enough to handle this thing. hehehe

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

adjustment

Most tire shops have no idea what they are doing anyway. Look in the yellow pages for a company that specializes in truck frame and axle work. I can tell you, it is pretty hard to knock that baby out once it is properly aligned. I dumped one in a hole on a jobsite once. It hit so hard, it folded the rim and knocked the tire half way off. I put a new rim on and took it to my truck guy as I was convinced I must have damaged something. He couldn't find anything that needed fixing. I drove it for quite a few years after that, with no front end issues.

Reply to
Tyrone

Realistically, you should do it yourself for free. The only adjustment is the toe, and you can measure that.

Reply to
Joe

I recently had my 02 F250 aligned and tires rotated for $57 at a local frame shop. Dealer wanted something like $300. Their excuse was that it's a big heavy truck.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I found a shop that'll do it for $55 and if shims are required to adjust camber, tack on $35 more. I'll be back on the "straight and narrow" tomorrow. :)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

If the alignment changed:

Something moved or bent!

Plain and simple. If it's a solid beam axle 2WD, the axle could have shifted over on the leaf springs, same on the 4WD. Also, 2 or 4WD, the steering knuckle could have bent, the leaf springs could have shifted.

Get someone who knows what the hell they are doing to check it, instead of the fix all alignment. When there could be a serious tracking problem, and with an alignment, you will chew up tires like them lowered rice burners do.

Damn them little pricks!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

It's all fixed. Shims and everything for $90.. They didn't quite get the steering wheel straight (going back tomorrow for that minor fix) but it doesn't pull anymore and tracks nice and straight again.

Screw the dealer and their $300+ alignments...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

steering

problem, and

Sometimes they don't set the steering wheel perfectly straight. The wheel may be cocked to the left to make it more comfortable to position your hand if you drive with your elbow on the window sill. Adjustment is simply winding one tie-rod end in and the other one out an equal amount.

Reply to
Tyrone

Well, unless I'm sittin' in the truck, "them" not setting the wheel straight to ensure my comfort is..well.. stupid. Actually, it's stupid NOT to set the wheel straight - which is precisely why I made 'em fix it this morning. When it came out of the factory it was straight and I put nearly 50k miles on the thing without a single "uncomfortable" steering moment..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

That's just going the long way around to get the same results as a simple drag link adjustment..without screwing with the toe-in....still have to do mine from my alignment. I should bring it in but it would take me longer to drive there than to do the adjustment myself.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo