f250 4x4 shift on the fly not working properly

I am having troubles with getting my shift on the fly to work properly. It will work if i manually shift it, but it will not on auto. when i shift in in auto, the front shaft moves, but the front hubs do not engage. I have power to the solinoid, and there is some vaccum, but i am not sure what the specs are for vaccum and voltage. Can someone help me on this. thanks

steve

Reply to
hotwrench1973

I have just recently noticed that on this shift on the fly prob., when the hubs are in auto possition and the switch is engaged into 4x4, the front axles are turning, but the wheels are not. does it still need to have vaccum inorder for the wheels to engage?

Reply to
hotwrench1973

Might help to give us the year of your truck. Assuming it's a 98+ Superduty, the auto hubs are notorious for going south. If you lock them manually you will have 4wd. I have a similar problem with my '02, but my hub dials are seized and I can't get them out of auto, meaning when the auto lock finally dies I won't have 4wd at all. Will be replacing the hubs locks with Warn manual locks soon.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Precisely why I opted for full manual - hubs and xfer case - on mine.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Me too.

Reply to
351CJ

Agreed, I swore I would never get an elec shift on the fly again but the new excursion doesn't have an available lever on the floor. :-(

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

well....I have finally found the problem with this truck. I appoligize for not telling you what year it was...it was a 2000. I found that the right hub was not holding vaccum. Which is due to the seals. This was a new thing to me. I learned something on the fords vaccum front hubs...thanks for the input.

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
hotwrench1973