Ford Bronco XLT 5.0L or 5.8L?

I am looking at 1987-1997 Bronco, automatic, 4x4, in very good shape to be able to plow my driveway and tow a 6000 pound boat. What axle code should I look for to make sure the truck can tow that much? Are these years reliable if the vehicle was taken care of or are there years to avoid? Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Broncos are way too short to pull that big of a boat safely. You can pull it unsafely, though, with either.

Reply to
Joe

The full size bronco is too small to tow the boat? Would I be better off shopping for an older expedition but then I give up the snow plow capability?

Reply to
Rocky

He said it's too "short" to pull the boat. The Expedition isn't much longer.

Reply to
Advocate

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
Marlin Singer

I have a '92 and pulled a 7500 lb 29' travel trailer for 4 years with a

5.8 L. No problem! I would not suggest the 5.0L. Use an anti-sway bar and put 50 lbs in the tires. You'll be using 2nd gear frequently. But, that's OK. Just don't lug the engine. I think my rear end is 3.55. BTW, my '92 now has 207,000 miles on it. The only major repair was the Transmission at 173,000 miles.
Reply to
Mellowed

I've owned about a half-dozen or so Broncos and pulled trailers weighing that much and more, with the proper hitch and electric brakes. I believe you can tow around 7800lbs safely with a 4:10 rear end.

Check this link.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Reply to
Marlin Singer

It might be like you say, around 7000, I was going from memory, which aint that great, and experience. But I have towed a lot of weight with mine, particularly with a '80, and with a '95 I owned at the same time, with the proper hitch and electric brakes, and they both did great. the '80 model had a 3.89 rear end, and the '95 had a 4.10.

I now have a '99 SuperDuty Dually that I tow with, and use the Broncos and Jeeps for fun.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

thanks Marlin. How is the reliability of the Broncos with 5.8L & 4x4? Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Reply to
Marlin Singer