Ford F-150 ad knocks Toyota Tundra...but not by name

Wall St Journal - May 1, 2007

..Sales of Ford cars and light trucks...fell by 8% last year and are down by 15% for the first three months of this year. Ford brand sales in 2006 were one million vehicles behind the brand's sales in 2000.

..Chicago-area resident Scott Young, who had been a loyal Ford customer for more than 30 years, says he has been turned off by bad experiences at dealers and quality problems he has had with Ford vehicles. He says he will likely buy a Honda the next time he shops for a vehicle. "I don't know what they could do to get me to change my mind," Mr. Young said.

Barry Engle, Ford's North American marketing chief, says, "I want it to be cool to buy a Ford again."

Engle's latest hook is a new ad campaign that kicks off today for Ford's the F-150 pickup truck

- its best-selling model and one of its most profitable. One of the new commercials talks about safety and the F-150's five-star crash-test rating, which takes a jab at the four-star rating of the Toyota Tundra
- The ad doesn't specifically name Toyota, but a Ford engineer in the ad says "some of the others didn't do as well."

..Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Bill Kwong said the company is still studying the four-star rating because internal tests showed that the Tundra deserved five stars.

Sales for the F-series this year are down 14% through March, but [lead] the new Chevrolet Silverado

by about 20,000 vehicle sales, Autodata Corp. says. The F-Series has a significant lead over the Tundra, which Toyota redesigned to be more competitive against the pickups of the Big Three. But Toyota is pushing to more than double sales in the segment. The new F-150 ad illustrates the more aggressive "Us versus Brand X" style that Mr. Engle is pushing at Ford... ========== Ford F-150:
Tundra:
Silverado:

George Orwell

Ford is not alone here. I recently read that Dodge is still so obsessed with trying to sell gas sucking Hemi SUV's that they are goint to try to push a varible displacement version of it in 2008 promissing the sun, moon and stars with MPG and performance when it reality it creates a vehcle that will not live up to it AND will have a lot more to go wrong with it too. And the even funnier part is that ALL Dodge 4x4 SUV have no way of disconnecting the front wheel from front differentail and driveshaft in 2wd which can bring a 10% or greater drop in MPG especailly in colder weather when fluid/lube is thicker. They are going to spend big $$$ on electronics and controls for this varible displacement thing while adding more to go wrong and still keep front diff spinning in 2wd which they could "fix for likley

100 bucks each or less per vehicle and at todays and tomorrows fuel prices save their owners potentail save them a few thousand bucks on fuel over a 100K plus service life. All other Detriot brands not made by Chysler disconnect the front differentail in one manor or another to minimize the MPG impact in 2wd mode. If Ford (and Detriot) would just get their head out of their arse and start building trucks that people really want with the features and quality they want instead of what Detriot wants to sell them they could get some share back. Toyota did not steal the market, Detriot gave it too them because they have long operated under the theory that you buy theirs because it is american (which is not always true today) or just because of brand name and not for reasons mentioned above. Until Detriot figures this out, the downward spiral will continue along with the desperate tactics to try to convince you to buy theirs. A good product sells it self without hype or rebates.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

George,

I want to point out Ford's flaw in that article you found:

"George Orwell" wrote

The US Auto Makers can't seem to figure out that consumers purchase a vehicle because of its reputation for dependability and low cost, not because they want to be "cool" - unless they still have a high school mentality and want to impress others. ...Maybe NASCAR fans.

Personally, I drive a 1986 Toyota 1-ton flatbed. It is old, and I'd like something new, but nobody makes anything comparable.

My flatbed, with a gas engine and a manual transmission, gets about 24 MPG with a welding machine and a cutting torch rig in the back. No, it will not win the quarter mile race with a 1500-lb load*, but then anyone with a heavy load *really* should not be trying to drag race!

*I assume some of you have seen that Toyota Tundra commercial above - proof that Toyota is trying to enter the "cool" market as well. Toyota needs to stick with their winning strategy - sell dependable, long lasting trucks with excellent customer service that should never be needed.
Reply to
jp2express

It's in the trucks now, I think. It came out in 2007.

Reply to
Joe

Yeah - I was looking at epa gas mileage web site, and they allow you to look at products by "class". Guess what's in the light pickup class. (tick tick tick Ding!) The answer is - Nothing! Nobody actually makes a product in that class of products that you can buy in the US.

Hey, auto makers - Got a total monopoly just sitting there waiting for you. Don't be chicken.

So while we're bashing Ford, let's just note that the Ranger, due to their failure to update it, is now the smallest, most fuel efficient pickup Americans can buy. Look on fueleconomy.gov and you'll see.

Reply to
Joe

After all the crap my dad endured with his ford, he gave up and bought a Tundra.

I think he will be VERY happy!

-SP

Reply to
Speedy Pete

NASCAR Craftsman Truck 2007 standings:

Nomen Nescio

2008 is going to add a hybrid function too with a starter built into bellhousing in the form of a 20HP electric motor. (just imagine what that will cost to replace)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The problem is there is the ratings and reality. Check out link below

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

On Wed, 02 May 2007 02:20:03 +0200, Nomen Nescio rearranged some electrons to form:

And this has what to do with real trucks?

Reply to
David M

My local Dodge dealers are pushing "Free Hemi" deals.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Because they will pass anything but a gas station

Reply to
Noon-Air

I have a pal with a pair of restored 'Cudas that says that all the time!

;^)

Reply to
B A R R Y

It is true about the gas station part but they are also not the best engine fore a SUV (part of the reason MPG is bad) because in the real world a engine with a 345 HP rating at 5400 RPM and 375 ft lbs of torque @ 4200 RPM looks good on paper but lacks in the real world application because it operates most of the time a a lower RPM and well below its HP and torque peak so MPG suffers as does power output too and when you put you foot in it to get it into ts 4000 RPM + sweet spot to try to feel more HP from it you are dumping fuel fast. It might be a good engine for a sports car but it is a poor choice for a heavy truck that needs a torque peak at a lower RPM for better efficency and overall responce.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

If you guys get a chance, find you an April copy of Car and Driver. They compared the 5 big trucks in 4-door 4 wheel drive form. The Chevy and the Toyota achieved 12 mpg. The Dodge, Ford, and Nissan all racked up 13 mpg.

I expected the Toyota to be terrible because it has the most horspower. The Chevy, which is EPA Rated for 15 or 16, was a bit of a disappointment.

So while the Hemi didn't match its EPA rating of 14 city, it's still as good as anything else.

Reply to
Joe

Not surprised, I guess there was a reason my Tundra was ordered with reg cab, 2wd, 4L V-6, and 6 spd manual trans. I like my 18 mpg on regular gas when the truck is loaded, and 21 mpg when its empty.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Do you ever have to pull anything with that 4L V6?

It always disappo>

Reply to
jp2express

Actually I do, frequently. I use if for hauling new HVAC equipment to install, taking the old stuff back to the shop, runs to the dump and scrap yard, pallets of refrigerant, etc. I have never had a problem with not enough power...I run fully loaded most all the time, and even even with

3000lbs of refrigerant on the trailer, no problem. The only side effect of towing a heavy load, is that the fuel economy drops to 15mpg.
Reply to
Noon-Air

Yesterday, I pulled 44 boxes (880 sq/ft) of prefinished oak flooring, several rolls of underlayment, and some other sundries, in a Haulmark cargo trailer, with my 4.0L Tacoma.

Total trailer weight ~ 4200-4400 lbs.

What would you like to know?

Reply to
B A R R Y

My Frontier is rated to tow 6,000#. I haven't tried that yet, but I have no doubt it will do it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White