1992 Buick Regal -- How do I read the Codes?

Is there a jumper I must short or what to read Codes from this machine? My grandmother has had her engine light lit for some time, and I don't think her garage has figured it out?!?

Also, for several years the Check Guages indicator is lit. What exactly trips that, is it an individual signal from each guage or fed from a computer somewhere?

Nice little car, 60,000 miles.

Any sites or assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

Deacon Eisenhart

Reply to
Deeky

According to the Haynes Repair Manual, "on some OBD 1 models with a 12-pin Data Link Connector, trouble codes can be accessed by connecting terminal B with terminal A with a jumper wire with the ignition key in the ON position and the codes can be read by watching the flashes of the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light."

Do not crank or start the engine when terminals A and B are connected, the ECM could be damaged.

The pin layout is F E D C B A G H J K L M

A is ground, B is the diagnostic test terminal.

The book also says that some models with the 12-pin connector do not have a terminal B present. In that case you'll need a scan tool.

No idea.

good luck

Reply to
Bjorntoluz

I can tell you that I have owned 2 Pontiac Grand Prix's, a 1991 and a 1992, and both had dash lights on that were on for no reason. I heard that dash boards of that era were faulty at times, such as on my cars, where the Check Gauges and Low Fuel lights were on all the time. Also, the Oil Pressure gauge did not work on either car, and does not work on my '91 Bonnie either.

Reply to
80 Knight

Some GM vehicles had problems with the cluster-controlled lights such as Check Gauges behaving erratically because of bad solder joints on the cluster PCB, but the Check Engine light is always controlled directly by the ECM.

Reply to
Robert Hancock