1998 Chevy Z71 Overheating Help!!

"way2fast" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

water flow in the radiator is what i would zero in on.........it wont get rid of enuff heat at hiway speed but will at idle.....common symptoms of clogged radiator....................kjun

Reply to
KjunRaven

This is an old thread, but I have the same problem and didn't see an answer that fit my problem.

The problem: It overheats quickly. This began a year ago. I replaced the water pump and thermostat twice. So, in February, I gave up and just drove my 93 suburban without a thermostat until now. So, today, I put in a 3rd thermostat. All 3 are different brands, for what that's worth???... (btw, while driving without the thermostat, the temperature never got above 120)

When I drove down the road to test the new thermostat (today), the guage went up to 250 before the thermostat opened up. I'm sure the guage is working right cause the engine started to clatter, so I was easy on the gas going back to the house and the temperature slowly dropped. I was told it could be air in the system, I ran the engine without the radiator cap on and waited for the thermostat to open, the level dropped so I added more fluid. Since then, I can't seem to get anymore fluid in there, infact, the level goes up and down in the neck of the top of the radiator and some overflows a little with the cap off. Now, the thermostat opens around 230 with the cap open. I closed the cap and now it seems to open around 220. I'm not sure about trying to drive it yet. If there is air in the system, is there an easy way to get it out? Or, could there be something else wrong?

Thanks,

Trevor

KjunRaven wrote:

Reply to
Trevor

Sometimes a head gasket can blow without giving signs of water in the oil, or out the exhaust. You have to remember those cylinders are like an air compressor, under combustion the force can be great enough to push exhaust gases into the water passages, but still will not leak back into the engine when it is stopped. I know I've had this problem before and the harder you drove it the hotter it got.

Also check the radiator in the front, run your hand over the entire surface and see if the temperature is about the same. If you have a fairly cool area, the radiator could be plugged inside. Also make sure the fins are clean bugs can plug them right up and it will run hot. I had this happen on an Astro van before. I run water over the radiator, then blow with compressed air, repeat over and over till I can kneel down and see thru all the fins.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
The Adams Family