2006 - 303 HP V8 Returns Impala/Monte Carlo SS.

I believe that this is where Ford/GM needs to move. A 100 HP high efficiency engine for economy with a 400 HP Electric on demand engine for the 2-5 x per day when you need to get from dead stop to fast lane on the highway in under 4 seconds or for those towing situations where the power is needed.

I think the new Accord might just convince the US market that Hybrids can be usable vehicles for normal people.

Just imagine how quiet a Caddy could be with neck snapping acceleration provided by electric motors at each wheel.

Whee !

Reply to
Full_Name

Rick,

Yes, I'm looking forward to the Chicago Auto Show next month. The 2006 Impala SS should be there, if it was at the LA show. I'm trying to play psychic so I can determine what day will draw the least amount of kiddies. At least Lincolns birdthday falls on a Saturday so there's one extra day during the week that won't be over run with kids.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,626 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

have you ever seen a 400hp electric motor? I have and they weigh about the same as an entire Honda Accord. The ecavation company we use has a 250HP motor on one of their crushers... it weighs about 3500 lbs. never mind that they put out about1400 lbs ft or torque at 0 rpm.. great for some serious axle snapping and frame bending.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Many thanks, Ian! Great article, and I never would have found it on my own.

Rick

Reply to
Rutger6559

Reply to
SgtSilicon

I've seen a few very high efficiency 100 HP electric motors when I did my Eng in the UK that were very compact for their power output.

My train of thought was 4 x 100 HP. Regenerative braking, blinding acceleration, minimal drive train loss.... What more could one ask for?

But I'd imagine that 1 400 HP unit with a heavy frame would also work.

Reply to
Full_Name

"James C. Reeves" wrote in news:AfydnTSAB6_QvX7cRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sadly it looks more like a plumped Altima. GM, get with the program! I am a lifelong GM fan, but they need to get some cutting edge design going. Where the heck is Harley Earl when you need him?

CCC

Collector Car Central