A War on Horsepower?

"The freedom to drive fast in a powerful car is fundamental to the mystique that auto makers use to sell cars. Now, as if the auto industry didn't have enough trouble, come more signs of a looming war on horsepower and speed..."

Wall Street Journal article:

Dave U.Random

Things change. We are entering into an era where fuel costs and availability are not likely to improve, and where the environmental aspects of fossil fuel consumption may well become the serious issues that have been being predicted for a long time.

For those of us who love cars, there will -for the foreseeable future- be products, or techniques, that will give us something interesting to drive.

Reply to
HLS

I can never remember -- is that the first amendment or the third?

Reply to
Lloyd

I lived through a period like that once alread. From 1975 until 1993, there wasn't a car built that *really* interested me (the closest being the Buick GNX). IF it happens again, I'll hang on to the cars I have (most of which predate the FIRST war on horsepower anyway) or snatch up a cheap Hemi Charger or Magnum that someone is trying to get rid of, just like people bought big-block Roadrunners for a nickel on the dollar in the late 70s. The difference being that during the first war on horsepower I was a poor student who couldn't afford a big-block Roadrunner even at a nickel on the dollar. This time things are different... ;-)

Reply to
Steve

I know what you mean. I had one of the 68 Mustang 428 street Cobras (a la Hubert Platt). In those days gas was relatively cheap, but I didnt make much money either. That sucker got 6-8 mpg.

Reply to
HLS

It's in the second paragraph of a little thing we like to call," The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America."

It's just the reason for everything that followed, that's all.

Jack

Reply to
J a c k

Here we go again! More #$^&#@#^^&!! do gooders, may God curse them..

Reply to
dr.benway

The Lord spake and proclaimeed " Thou shalt havge mkore horsepower!"m..

Reply to
dr.benway

The Lord spake and proclaimeed " Thou shalt havge mkore horsepower!"m..

But He also said "Mene,mene, tekel , upharsen", popularly translated as "You have been weighed in the balance, and found wanting"

Reply to
HLS