AUTO HISTORY

I bought my first car ( a used FORD ) in 1956

Over the years, I've owned 19 autos.... most of them bought new.

I can remember when;

cars were affordable

folks went car shopping every 2 - 3 years

you bought a car for its looks. and cars were pretty.

you returned a new car to the dealer with a list of 20 > 30 items to be fixed or adjusted.

batterys, shocks, mufflers didn't last much past 30,000 miles.

the family station wagon hauled everything, and pick-up trucks were for farmers.

Americans bought "toy cars" from Renault, VW, or OPEL

Looking back, I can't say I got great service out of any of the cars I bought. Most started to fall apart at 60K miles. Best car has been my 2002 BUICK Century.

Reply to
Anonymous

Cars didnt hold up well without the ussual maintenance. My first cars was a hand me down 65 Cuda in the mid 70s. That car would take a lickin and keep tickin. But all cars then needed carb adjustments, points and condensers, timing set, spark plugs at 10k miles, mufflers rusted out, bodies rusted, then engines would start burning oil and leaking 60 or 70k miles yet didnt effect performance much. Case in point I also owned a 69 Ply RoadRunner 383 that would leave a patch of rubber 10 ft long with 130k miles on the clock.

Reply to
Lyle Lanley (Monorail Enginee

Sounds a lot like my first car, a 1962 Cadillac that was 7 years old. It did not have pcv valves then, and the engine blow-by was so bad I would get arrested for air pollution today. Plus, it used a quart of oil about every

Reply to
ROY BRAGG