Auto team drives imports

Perhaps, but if I burn my hand on the hot stove, I'm not going to try it again just to be sure. Right now, in addition to all the other problems over the past three years, the brakes are not working. Fluid was lost and re-filling the master cylinder did not fix it. Too damned cold to go crawling around so the hunk of tin sits in the driveway just falling apart.

GM got me to look at other cars, both domestic and imported. Next time I'm going to buy there will be a lot of considerations that GM never faced in the past. GM and the dealer (that sold me other cars too) had an opportunity to make things right and chose not to. Loyalty is gone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Well, we did lose one today.

My neighbor - who owns a '94 bonneville - came home today with a Toyota GS somethingoranother.

Turns out her Bonneville - with 280,000 miles - had a little work done, due to a water pump issue. The shop forgot to put coolant back in and the block cracked on her way to work today.

Figuring Toyota has a better future she opted for a Lexus rather than a caddy.

One down.

Reply to
PerfectReign

you can just feel the love on the shop floor when the wealthy jerk ass boss comes around; makes all those bolts get that extra bit of magic that helps them hold on.

Reply to
raamman

Obviously it is your money that you can spend where you wish, but that's a bad analogy. One can assume a stove will be hot. To assume any vehicle on the market today is good or as bad, based on one you owned years ago is foolish at best, if not outright stupid, period

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I would love to hear what the guy has to say when he sees the price he has to pay to have service performed at his Lexus to the dealer, compared to the cost at the Pontiac dealer. My Lexus dealers shop rate is $115 an hour

Actually the score is more like 1 to 1, as I see it. I have a neighbor who, like me replaces his vehicle every two years. He has run the gamete, English, German, Swedish then Japanese for forty years so. I saw him the other day with a Cadillac CTS.

I got to speak to him yesterday and asked why the Caddy and not another Lexus LS. He told me the dealer was taking him for granted and trying to squeeze extra bucks on every car he was buying and for service. He read the glowing reports on the CTS and decided to take one for a drive. He bought it when he returned to the dealership for ore than $11,000 less than the 2009 Lexus he was considering. I told him dealer arrogance was one of the reasons I stopped buying Lexus V8s, as well. The fact is every manufacturer is building good vehicles today, the only real difference is style and price. The astute buyer will always consider price, even us rich bastards that supply all you used cars you guys live to take, that we no longer want, off our hands ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Really, is your business that slow? When I owned my shops I rarely had time to do that, I employed top notch people to do that kind of stuff for me. If I was ever required to visit any of the shops it generally led to the guy in charge being let go for not doing HIS job

you can just feel the love on the shop floor when the wealthy jerk ass boss comes around; makes all those bolts get that extra bit of magic that helps them hold on.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Both my manager and one of the other exec managers at my work have CTS's. Nice little cars.

I do wish Cadillac made a full size car though, like the early '80s Fleetwoods or the late '70's DeVille models. (I know the DTS is a downsized Deville.)

Reply to
PerfectReign

Every one of the last four GM cars I've owned, bought new, had at least one problem or another while under warranty. Having been around machinery and manufacturing most of my life, I know that things can go wrong and "stuff happens". The present US made foreign car has had ZERO problems in over two years and 51,000 miles. Draw your own conclusion, but just like that hot stove is likely to burn me again, GM may do the same. Right now the score is 4 to 1, based on experience, that I'll have a GM car with a problem.

McDonalds sells the most hamburgers, but like GM cars, that does not mean they are the best. The one sitting in my driveway right now is crap.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski