Automakers may report huge September sales gains

Automakers may report huge September sales gains

Automakers are likely to report eye-popping double-digit sales increases for September.

That will make the industry look like it's doing a lot better than it actually is, however, because of an easy comparison with September a year ago, when sales tumbled after the federal government's cash-for-clunkers program concluded.

Bob Page, owner of Bob Page Toyota in Southfield, said he expects to sell more than 100 cars and trucks for the month -- or about twice as many as last September.

"But last year, we had very little inventory," Page said.

The clunkers program left dealer lots depleted while the nation's economy remained affected by one of the worst recessions in decades.

"I am sure that ... all the automakers are going to show a substantial increase in September," Page said.

For the domestic automakers, vehicle-pricing Web site TrueCar.com estimates that September sales will increase 48.4% at Chrysler, 41.7% at Ford and 10.4% at General Motors.

For Asian automakers, TrueCar estimates sales will increase 59.5% for Hyundai and Kia, 34.7% for Honda, 29.2% for Nissan and 17.8% for Toyota.

Jeff Schuster, executive director of forecasting for J.D. Power and Associates, said September started off as one of the best months this year.

But it weakened as the month continued.

Just last week, J.D. Power estimated that the seasonally adjusted annual rate, or SAAR, would top 11.8 million in September and it noted that retail demand was at its highest point in two years.

But Schuster now estimates the SAAR for September will be 11.5 million.

"As long as unemployment is where it is at, we are not going to see a real big boost in consumer confidence, or auto sales," Schuster said.

Consumer confidence, which had improved in August, dropped 4.7 points to

48.5 in September, according to the Conference Board.

Dealers in different areas of the country are reporting mixed sales trends.

Brian Jarrett, president of Jarrett Auto Group in Florida, said sales at his Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealerships increased.

"We are in a sweet spot with new products coming out, and the economy starting to improve a little bit," Jarrett said.

But P.J. Haydocy, general manager of Haydocy Buick GMC in Columbus, Ohio, said sales at his dealership barely increased from last September.

He blamed limited availability of the GMC Terrain and low consumer confidence.

"I think people still don't have a grasp of what's going on with the economy," Haydocy said.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

What makes you believe 100 cars a month is a "Good" month?

Reply to
Mike

People still need cars and after 3 years of recession/depression some are worn out.

But look at what they are buying. They are buying cheaper and cheaper.

20-30% off of inflated MSRP or the sale goes to lower cost producers. GM will be a laggard when compared to others.
Reply to
Canuck57

It might be for some smaller dealers. 100 sure beats 50 the year before. Also note their predictions on Hyundai and Kia doing well, people are spending less and getting the quality imports.

Looks like GMs market share is still shr> What makes you believe 100 cars a month is a "Good" month?

Reply to
Canuck57

Perhaps in your opinion, but you always seem to forget that GM is still the number one seller in the US, year to date in the US, no matter how much you wish that were not the fact LOL

Reply to
Mike

As you know GM is still number one in sales, year to date in the US.

When I was in retail we considered any monthly sales total under 500 cars and truck, at one of our stores, as a slow month. ;)

Reply to
Mike

The cars sold are getting smaller all the time.

If you think Toyota is selling small cars they are now getting even smaller.

Toyota Motor Corp., the world's biggest automaker, is getting into the minicar market.

The company said Tuesday that it would expand its product line to include minivehicles made by subsidiary Daihatsu Motor Co. starting in stages from autumn 2011 in Japan.

Under the agreement, Daihatsu will produce three models for Toyota, which will sell them through its domestic "Corolla and "Netz" dealerships. The companies said they expect annual sales of about

60,000 minivehicles once all three models hit showrooms.

"The minivehicle market has been expanding recently, and more of our customers have been asking for them," said Toyota Executive Vice President Yoichiro Ichimaru at a joint press conference.

Reply to
Bjorn
60,000 more death trips?

Mike

Well, they are not even number two in Canada, and will never be again, in my opinion.

Does not mater how hard Obama and the Democrats, CAW/UAW and others try, turkeys d> Perhaps in your opinion, but you always seem to forget that GM is still the

Reply to
Canuck57

Well you certainly are entitled to an opinion, even if it is that of the minority.

Reply to
Mike