Buick Help UPDATE!

**UPDATE** After a trip to the local library, I scored a schematic diagram of the Buick. The ONLY thing that is even close to what I am describing is what appears to be a downshift switch. It runs in line with the kickdown solenoid on the tranny. The colors of the wires could match, but it is very hard to tell exact colors due to wear. I'll peel some of the wire back tomorrow in the daylight. So I did some more research on model years before and after 1973 and came up with this GM part number 1235480 in the 1971-72 range. I am now looking for a diagram, or a pic of this particular part number to find out if it is the same animal that I need. I will be hitting the dealer tomorrow and they will have to pull out the microfiche I am sure. Any on line suggestions??

original post: Application: 1973 Buick Electra 225, aka Land Yacht 455 Buick motor, NOT the Olds version OK.....I am stumped, and have stumped several different parts stores. What is the switch/sensor doing in the back of the head????? It is a two prong device that is located in the rear of the passenger side head. The switch works on heat. When it is hot, the switch closes, cold...open. What is it's purpose??

Could someone provide a part number of something too?? More info..the two wires are brown, and there is a similar sensor on the opposing head, same location.....single "nub" similar to the old style oil pressure senders

HELP!!!!!

Reply to
Eightupman

These yunggin's in here probably don't even know what the hell a 73 Electra looks like. If you didn't put Buick in the subject line they probably would of asked " What's an Electra? "

By the way did the big rubber strips around both tail lights turn a brownish green colour with age?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,459 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

They would if I slammed it two inches off the ground, put on 13" wire wheels with hot wheel tires with a HUGE white walls and then replaced the entire interior with woofers, and replaced the springs with airbags!! LOL Or am I being a touch stereotypical??? I have noticed a HUGE growing collection of big bodied cars being modified like that by the younger generations. I do not think they realize that they are better off with a full restoration is some cases. But then again there are many older guys who went out and chopped up thier1969 Camaro SS or Olds Cutlass 442 for fun. If they only knew!!

BTW, the rubber is still black, BUT the metal that holds it to the tail light is about done for.

Reply to
Eightupman

Let's not forget the demo derby crowd mangling so many old potential classics.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reminds me of a local kid here he is a BIG time ricer fan. Decided his Neon daily driver was just to dull so he lowered it and put on a mega bucks ground effects kit, big wide rubber and of course the two layer whale tail on the back. Light kits front and rear. I asked him about what he was going to drive when the snow hit and he says" The Neon of course, I spent a lot of money on it and want to drive it". I just started laughing inside.

I saw it the other day (we have had about 4 real good snowstorms and light snow on/off in between) Front air dam is gone, tore right off, side panels are scarred from the ice/snow flying off the wide rubber, rear whale tail had ice frozen in and on it and one side was broken, plus the back end was bashed in pretty good since the fancy tail lights are about as bright as two candles and someone just couldn't see the car in the snow.

Steve W.

Eightupman wrote:

Reply to
Steve W.

Hey hey now...there are some of us that prefer to leave the car looking stock (ahem ahem). Here we have plenty of newer Caprices and Impalas and even F-Bodies bastardized :(. They can keep the other 2 ... but not the Camaros and Firebirds :P

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

looking stock outside, but HP under the hood. What we call a "sleeper" guys pull up to you and wanna "rice" you for fun, thinking they'll blow the doors off your old man car. When they finally catch up to you at the next light.... LOL

Especially if they foolishly put up some $$$

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

You would have loved my old Nova. '74 that looked like a real beater, had one primed fender and one quarter that >looked< like it was rusted out. Had what looked like a ratty old blanket covering the folded down rear seat (hatchback, but the seat was actually not there) mismatched rims front to rear (hard to fit street legal slicks on stock rims). Still had a column shifted trans. The hood looked real rough (fiberglass is a bit rough you know) and covered what sounded like a ratty running small block. If you were dumb enough to try running against me you put up money first. At the finish line I would open the hood IF you could keep you mouth shut. Hmmm that doesn't look very stock, did a '74 Nova ever have an aluminum 427 with dry sump oiling and valves big enough to throw a cat through. Pipes were crafted so that they ran through the mufflers till I popped the cutouts open. Put it on a dyno once and the guys eyes opened REAL wide when I punched it, final results were over

650 horses at the rear wheels... I wish I still had it together with all these rice burners around..

Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh, he'd have become a vegan.

Steve Williams

Reply to
Steve W.

(snipped good stuff)

LOL, that's exactly what I mean. Sounds like you had the "Axel Foley" looking Nova...

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

ah yes.....I plan to have a 1979 Cutlass sleeper. I have scored a Rocket

350 motor for it that will slide in like it belongs there. With a bit of tweaking I'm sure I'll get 400 HP or more out of her!!! I love to eat rice!!!!

Reply to
Eightupman

Back in 1958 there were 2 boys that used to come down off the mountain "hilltop farm" with a '51 Study Champion with 3 colors of paint and 1 tail pipe "showing" it even had a oil can in the trunk with a hose hooked to the pipe just behind the muffler "Blue smoke". The rich kids with the fancy custom paint jobs lost lots of money to that ride going light to light till one day it turned up in a wrecking yard "Blew Up" and they found out what was under the hood... '49 Caddy/Hydromatic, it was all put together with used parts and an ark weilder, they were shifting it through the floor with a steel coat hanger....I worked in the wrecking yard..lol. I was 17...

Reply to
psmith