Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington - Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle makes economic "sense."The extended-range plug-in electric vehicle is on the cover of the April issue - the influential magazine's annual survey of vehicles - but the GM vehicle comes in for criticism.

"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

The magazine said in its testing in Connecticut during a harsh winter, its Volt is getting 25 to 27 miles on electric power alone.

GM spokesman Greg Martin noted that it's been an extremely harsh winter - and as a Volt driver he said he's getting 29-33 miles on electric range. But he noted that in more moderate recent weather, the range jumped to 40 miles on electric range or higher.

Champion believes a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, may make more sense for some trips.

"If you drive about 70 miles, a Prius will actually get you more miles per gallon than the Volt does," Champion said.

But GM has noted that most Americans can avoid using gasoline for most regular commuting with the Volt, while its gasoline engine can allow the freedom to travel farther, if needed.

The magazine has put about 2,500 miles on its Volt. It paid $48,700, including a $5,000 markup by a Chevy dealer.

Champion noted the Volt is about twice as expensive as a Prius.

He was said the five hour time to recharge the Volt was "annoying" and was also critical of the power of the Volt heating system.

"You have seat heaters, which keep your body warm, but your feet get cold and your hands get cold," Champion said.

Consumer Reports will release a full road test of the Volt later this year and will update it.

Champion praised the heater on the all-electric Nissan Leaf - which Consumer Reports borrowed from the Japanese automaker -- but said it also got very short ranges in very cold weather.

On one commute, his range in a Leaf was at 43 miles when he turned onto an eight-mile stretch of highway, but it fell from 43 to 16 miles after eight miles at 70 mph.

"If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.

Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity that they want to sell to the people that really want it."

Despite his criticism of the Volt, Champion praised its acceleration and acknowledged that under certain driving cycles, consumers could mostly avoid using gasoline. The magazine noted the Volt is nicely equipped and has a "taut yet supple ride."

But he said there are a lot of trade-offs.

"They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense."

Before Consumer Reports decides whether to recommend the Volt, it needs data from at least 100 subscribers who own one, and a year of reliability data.

snipped-for-privacy@detnews.com

From The Detroit News:

's-Volt-'doesn't-really-make-a-lot-of-sense'

Reply to
C. E. White

's-Volt-'doesn't-really-make-a-lot-of-sense'>

Volt, aka "Short Circuit"

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Suspicions confirmed

Reply to
hls

None of these electric vehicles with gas engines make much sense but they are important because they'll lead the way to a fully electric future. You wouldn't have the Volt without the Japanese Hybrid cars, which from most any way you look at it, are kinda silly.

's-Volt-'doesn't-really-make-a-lot-of-sense'>

Reply to
dsi1

Duh. Magazine pays $48,700 for a car with unproven leading edge technology and then says ""This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer." Brilliant.

Or higher? First I heard it would exceed 40 miles on electric.

Duh. So would just about any gas-powered econo-car. The Volt is targeted at commuters who drive 40 miles or less per day.

Why would anybody who commonly drove more than 40 miles daily buy a Volt? Defeats the purpose of the Volt. Wait. I know who. Consumer Reports.

No shit. This is news?

Suckers. The real story is why they got a free Leaf and had to pay more than retail to buy a Volt to test. I have a feeling CR and GM don't have a good relationship. And what about the $7500 Fed tax credit?

That's what happens when you pay a $5000 dealer markup and don't claim your $7500 credit. What are these guys smoking?

If you are "annoyed" because a rechargeable battery has to be recharged, I question your sanity.

There's your real headline. "Almost Pissed my Pants Worrying About Being Stranded by Nissan Leaf!" Wonder why he didn't mention being "annoyed" by charging the Leaf.

Not when you pay $48,700 and get gas for $3.35. When you can buy the car for about $30k and gas is $5.00 then the logic changes. But reliability is yet to be proved too. We'll see.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I have no interest in a "fully electric future" and certainly no interest in purchasing electric or hybrid vehicles. You can keep 'em.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Since when was the Volt General Motors flagship vehicle?

Reply to
tnom

Remember Julius and Ethel Rosenberg...Their future was also fully electric.

Reply to
hls

Their Titanic maybe?

Reply to
hls

In the scheme of things, our personal opinions don't matter much do they?

Reply to
dsi1

20 years ago I wouldn't have believed that our future was going to be almost totally digital.
Reply to
dsi1

I guess I would have.. Digital was the only intelligent course of technology. I used to be involved in radiocommunications, and digital coded pulse transmission seemed to be a no brainer.

With technology, however, robustness can falter. That is not to say that the problems wont be solved, but that there can be painful interim situations.

For every additional component, whether integrated onto a chip or hard wired into a board, the statistical possibility of failure increases.

We seem to be focused upon the trip. Is there a goal here somewhere??

Reply to
hls

Well I guess it's too late to find out now. The price of computer RAM was about $45 a MB so you'd probably have a hard time imagining regular folks owing a computer with $200,000 worth of ram and drives which would cost about $10,000,000 at the time.

The only reason we're a digital world is that cheap RAM, data storage, and a method of moving info around at high speed exists. Without that, we'd probably still be using film, listening to CDs, going to Tower Records, and using computers with small sized OSes with limited memory.

My guess is that 20 years from now, we won't be doing fill-ups at gas stations and changing motor oil. I could be wrong but I hope not, for our sake.

Reply to
dsi1

GM hit the iceberg a long time ago and sank last year.

Whatever you call GM now or any of their products they are trying to get back up again.

If the Volt is what is supposed to safe them they will surely have to scale down a bit.

Reply to
Bjorn

A man was walking outside the sing sing and heard a lot of screaming. He went in and asked what was happening. We are executing a prisoner in an electric chair. And why all this screaming then? There is no electricity so we have to use a candle.

Reply to
Bjorn

Or to quote Major Kira Nerys (Nana Visitor) from an episode of ST DS9: "It doesn't matter what you say or what you think. All that matters is what you do." Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

They do at least in terms of the directions our own lives take. I can assure you that I will never own an electric or hybrid car. What the rest of you do is your own business, of course.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Speak for yourself.

Reply to
Roger Blake

I can assure you that I will be still doing fillups at gas stations and changing motor oil in 20 years. The installed base is far too large to simply go away in that period of time. (You of course may elect to purchase some stoopid electic pregnant roller skate to run around if you desire. Just don't try to force me into one.)

Reply to
Roger Blake

I think that the only thing that will give GM a profit on this line of "vehicles" is that the Obama administration might force the post office or other groups to purchase a bunch of them at ridiculous prices.

This could force this ill begotten project to appear to work, again at the sacrifice of the tax payers.

Reply to
hls