Coolant leak in 1999 corvette

I have had my 1999 Corvette for about 2 1/2 years. About three weeks ago the low coolant display appeared. Sure enough the coolant was low so I added the correct mixture and took it out for a drive. Before I put it back in the garage, I put some newspaper on the floor. Parked the 'Vette and let it set overnight. The next morning, sure enough, probably a pint of coolant on the newspaper. The next day I took the 'Vette to the local dealer. They ran a pressure test on the system. They found a pin hole in the coolant tank. The leak is in the front of the car. The dealer let the car idle for over an hour, parked inside and they could not find the leak.

I drove the 'Vette last night and I just checked the coolant, yep, low again and there is a larger quantity on the newspaper.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Thanks

Lew

Reply to
Lew

Climb under the car and find where it is coming from. No crystal balls on this group...

Reply to
Woody

You have coolant on the paper under the car, and you're asking this group where it's coming from? You have the best starting point you could ask for. Now, how about climbing underneath that Vette and trying to look and see where it's coming from. Once you find the leak, fix it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Florescent dye in the coolant and a kit with a UV light and glasses to track down where the leak is. Carefully put the dye in the coolant and drive it for a day or two then do the test.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Yes. You need more absorbant newspaper.

Reply to
Al Bundy

With the amount he says is leaking adding anything is useless. All it should take is a pair of eyes looking under the car.

Reply to
Woody

Could be your water pump, radiater, the coolant tank itself, any combination of hoses... If you don't want to do the dirty work, you should leave your car at the dealership overnight.

Reply to
Bluenoser

Hello Lew:

Bob's suggestion is correct. If you do not feel technically comfortable doing this yourself, then I would take it to the shop that does most of your auto repair. A pressure test must be conducted in combination with Bob's suggestion. ___________________________________ Bob Urz Jan 14, 9:26 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm From: Bob Urz - Find messages by this author Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:26:14 -0600 Local: Sat, Jan 14 2006 9:26 am Subject: Re: Coolant leak in 1999 corvette

Florescent dye in the coolant and a kit with a UV light and glasses to track down where the leak is. Carefully put the dye in the coolant and drive it for a day or two then do the test.

Bob

Reply to
famous21

Newsgroups: alt.autos.gm From: Bob Urz - Find messages by this author Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:26:14 -0600 Local: Sat, Jan 14 2006 9:26 am Subject: Re: Coolant leak in 1999 corvette

Florescent dye in the coolant and a kit with a UV light and glasses to track down where the leak is. Carefully put the dye in the coolant and drive it for a day or two then do the test.

Bob

Reply to
famous21
1999 Corvette drips pint of coolant when sitting overnight

1.) Local dealer ran pressure test, found pin hole in the coolant tank.

2.) Dealer and could not find the leak after letting car idle an hour.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Could the leak be coming from the pin hole found in the coolant tank?

Rodan

Reply to
Rodan