GM to recall 1.5 million autos

Agence France-Presse First Posted 16:53:00 04/14/2009

WASHINGTON -- Troubled US automaker General Motors has informed watchdogs it will have to recall close to 1.5 million cars amid concerns they could catch fire, local media reported.

Television network CNN said the firm had reported a potential fuel leak in some autos built between 1997 and 2003.

The recall includes certain models from GM's Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

The Detroit-based firm -- which already faces bankruptcy proceedings -- said the fault could see oil leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking.

On March 30, the US government gave GM, which has received $13.4 billion in public aid, 60 days to come up with an aggressive restructuring plan to be eligible for further aid the company says it needs to avoid collapse.

------ For only 4% of a hybrid cost, OFS can turn any vehicle into a hybrid-like vehicle. It's called Fuel-Efficiency Tune-up. It increases gas mileage and horse power. Making the right choice today will save you lots of moneys for many years to come..

GasSaver

GM recalled these vehicles back in 2008 too, but they were to damned picky on which vehicles they recalled. They would repair some of the normal 3800 Series II's, but only if it was in a Grand Prix, and they wouldn't even look at a supercharged 3800 (even though the assumed flaw is on all 3800 Series II engines). My supercharged Bonneville burnt to the ground around this time last year, and I happened to be at a local Canadian Tire today, when I saw the lights from a fire truck flashing. I decided to go and take a look, and there was a Grand Prix, hood up, engine soaking with water. Seeing how the fire department is very close to this place, the fire didn't look like it left the engine bay, but the car is still (I am guessing) a total loss, as was mine. This is definitely an instance where GM needs to chrome up, and fix these cars. I don't want to see others having to sit there and watch there pride and joy burn to the ground, only to be told to 'f*ck off' by GM, and then given chump change from the insurance company.

Reply to
80Knight

Wow... I am very sorry to hear. I know 5-6 Audi caught fire also, last year in my neighborhood one happened just like yours. I suspect it may not be oil leak problem, your Fuel injector tube maybe too hot (reaching Autoignition temperature 246 degreeC) engine temperature can increase while you park after a long drive. That's why I keep matching my engine temperature. I would never let it goes above 90degree C.

GasSaver

------ Is your vehicle sluggish? Changing exhaust pipe won't give you much power

8% at the most. If you let us eliminate its frictions and tune it up, you can gain much more power than that, at least 55%. OFS Fuel-Efficiency Tune-up increases gas mileage and horse power. Making the right choice today will save you moneys for many years to come..
GasSaver

In message , GasSaver writes

MolySlip in the UK used to advertise that their oil treatment could allow you to run your engine for a few hundred miles without oil and without damage, if that's not reducing friction, I don't know what is.

Reply to
Clive

Yes, I know MolySlip very well, similar Slick50 the US engine treatment, they do reduce friction but only in one particular area, not all areas. There are 7 frictions in a vehicle. It makes a BIG difference if you eliminate all frictions, your vehicle will perform like a hybrid afterward.

GasSaver

Reply to
GasSaver

Actually our cars perform much better than any hybrid cars in terms of power, have you ever seen an airplane taking off pointing its nose up in the air on a run-way? our vehicles perform just like that, very smoothly, no loud engine noise. There was one 9-yrs old kid seating in my car, he said "I feel like going up in the air."

GasSaver

Reply to
GasSaver

Seen many airplanes taking off, been in tons of them. Cannot figure out what you mean by "our vehicles perform just like that". Are you saying that your vehicles have weak rear springs?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In message , GasSaver writes

If MolySlip is added to the oil and lubricates everywhere the oil does, where are these other six frictions that you know about but the manufacturers don't?

Reply to
Clive

In message , GasSaver writes

He was just telling you that your car was making so much noise it sounded just like an aircraft taking off.

Reply to
Clive

I checked this company on ripoffreport.com, but found no complaints (yet).

They mention friction in the water pump as one example, which might be true enough.

Could we guess others? Hubs, brakes, transmission, drive joints ?

If this is not A product that goes into the crankcase, but rather a blueprinting of various frictional systems, it might make some sense.

But, judging from the location of the enterprise (WA), and the level of English used, I would be apprehensive.

Reply to
HLS

In message , HLS writes

Friction means wear, and a lot of these products will last the life of the car, so I have my doubts.

Reply to
Clive

HLS,

I'd like to see if your good English can help you figure out the rest of frictions. GM and FORD speak English so well, look at them now. The Japanese and Chinese don't speak English at all, they must be dumb and they must lack behind you right?

GasSaver

Reply to
GasSaver

They should recall every vehicle that fails to get 50mpg.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Should Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and the rest do the same? There wouldn't be many cars on the roads...

Reply to
80 Knight

That is for sure.

Reply to
HLS

But the taxpayer is paying for this one.

Reply to
Canuck57

Yes, they should all do the same. Ford commercial says the Fusion is the highest gas mileage care in the mid sized arena. The actual mileage flashes by so fast your cannnot read it. They must be ashamed of it. The VW Jetta TDI diesel did get 51mpg until the US banned it. It was allowed back in this year because they lowered the mileage rating. The US car companies should all die like the mob that they are. All crooks and crooked to the bone.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

you do realize the new Fusion just got over 80 miles per gallon in a very public test of over 1,500 miles. Their new Fusion hybrid is capable of doing up to 47 miles per hour on electric alone.

cldnails