Help: 96 Grand Am loose steering wheel

The following describes the problem using the terminology for the part names from a GM technical manual.

I partially disassembled the steering column to investigate what was causing the sloppy feel to the steering wheel. The slop is coming from the pivot pins. The housing and bearing assembly can be rocked back and forth by grabbing and shaking the upper shaft assembly. The jacket support assembly doesn't move at all. Also, the pivot pins have been "peened" into position which is going to make it more difficult to extract them (without grinding) using the recommended tool.

three questions:

  1. Was the peening done at the factory?
  2. Is wobbling at the pivot pins a typical problem for this car?
  3. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Bill snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Bobo

Bobo,

Thanks for the resp>I doubt the peening was done from factory, although I doubt that that will

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill