In defense of the Chevrolet Vega

You always have the nukes and they can generate friendly electricity and you do not put the nukes directly in the car as far as I know.

There is also a hell of a lot of coal and tar sand you can tap the electricity out of but not put the coal directly in the car so electricity much be an interesting slution.

Reply to
Bjorn

Maybe it is fair to say that GM management was/is gifted?

More like "ethically retarded", Bjoern

Reply to
hls

So with a large enough installation you can lose the same amount per KwH and make it up in volume?

Reply to
AMuzi

no. simply the cost savings from the scale of the wind generation equipment. Same reason people don't put in their own 1 house sized gas turbine systems, mini-fission nuke generation, or small 1 house hydro electric projects.

I did read some years ago someone had developed a natural gas turbine generation system that was economically feasible for 12 homes per generator or so.

Reply to
Brent

I have a small wind turbine, solarpanel and water turbine. They save me a lot of money. I could possible sell overproduction to the grid but it is too much paperwork. I am attached to the grid but usually do not need it. The equipment for home use is cheap and has paid itself off a long time ago. Hardly any maintenance and not for many years now.

Reply to
Bjorn

When I moved to Houston in the mid 60's, my apartment complex had a cogen system, burning natural gas to provide electricity, cooling etc. It was apparently the cheapest way to go.

For a single house, a gas or diesel powered generator might, or might not, make sense. Members of my family own a neat bit of acreage in Colorado, where there is no power available. To bring in an electric line would cost millions. Clearly in this extreme case, a wind generator, solar panels, or a propane or diesel generator would be the choices.

Whether you get enough bang for your buck in Los Angeles, however, would be a different study

Reply to
hls

Define "cheap"? A residential solar system is around $20,000, a small wind system from what I can tell is around $12,000 (system costs, not just the primary generation components, and there may be cheaper ways than just ordering a complete system as well). At typical US electric rates and present taxes the paypack for these systems is pretty long.

Reply to
Brent

Well ....

In theory if you are handy and thrifty you can build your own from spare parts

?&id=1462357

I did my turbines and panels a long time ago and I do not remember what the cost was but it was not much.

The savings I have made are substantial and paid off what I invested years ago.

Not to mention the fun I had making them.

Reply to
Bjorn

?&id=1462357>

If your cite is just a library of congress google search dump you can do it with a trimmed URL

BTW, it includes videos of "perpetual motion machines"

Because of that URK, as far as I am concerned, your claim is just usenet BS.

Sure... whatever you say.

Reply to
Brent

"hls" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Generator-driving windmills used to be common in rural areas that were unserved by the grid. Now such windmills aerate ponds instead.

Reply to
Tegger