iPod Jack on new Trailblazer

I am borrowing my brother's new 2008 Trailblazer (same as Envoy). It's the "middle" model with leather and moonroof but doesn't have memory seat, heated seat or power passenger seat.

Anyway, there is clearly an aux button on the radio, but I can't figure out where to plug in the iPod. Where is the jack??? Just about every car has one these days and with the AUX on the button I can't imagine GM would not have one too and be behind the curve.

Reply to
Daniel David Palmer

From what I can see on the website, the Trailblazer does not have this option. The TrailBlazer is an old model on it's way out, it's replacement will most likely have this option since the rest of the GM line-up does.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Then what is the purpose of the "AUX" button?

Reply to
Daniel David Palmer

According to the owner's manual, you push the CD/AUX button to listen to a CD while listening to the radio, or to listen to an auxiliary audio source (if equipped).

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I rent mostly GM's about twice a month. Nearly all GM's have an AUX button but very few actually have the jack. It's probably cheaper to mark a button AUX for all cars then just that one model that actually has a jack.

Reply to
Paul

Doesn't have one. The aux button is for the auxiliary CD changer or remote cassette deck option. If it doesn't have either of them the button doesn't do anything.

Reply to
Steve W.

On most GM's I have seen with an "AUX" button, it was used for a GM cd changer.

Reply to
80 Knight

Reply to
Daniel David Palmer

You need to take a pill. The TrailBlazer is built on an out-of-date platform and the stereo is from the pre-iPod jack era. The rest of the GM line-up has an iPod jack.

My 1995 Monte Carlo had an AUX button. What moron made the decision to have an AUX button but no 59 cent iPod jack?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

I disagree. If they are going to continue selling Trailblazer as 2008 models, they can certainly update the radio.

Reply to
Daniel David Palmer

That's the way the automotive industry works. Car companies don't redesign vehicles and/or components for every model year, it's just not financially viable. Most automotive parts manufacturing contracts are 2 - 5 years in length. That means, once it's in production, it's in production for that length of time. Any deviation could be costly for someone.

Think of it like this: Radio plant says they'll sell GM 250,000 radios per year for three year at $100 each plus $1,000,000 startup. They sign a contract and start production. The radio company expected to make $20 from each radio, but due to some error, they are only making $10 per radio. GM says they now want to redesign and add a $0.59 connector, plus all the associated electronics required ($5), after only 1 year of the contract. Radio company requotes GM $120.59 (the extra $5 to make up the revenue loss in the previous year and an extra $10 for future units) per radio Plus an extra $250,000 for re-tooling. That $0.59 connector is now costing GM and extra $10,545,000 for the remaining life cycle of the vehicle. Since the vehicle is in the process of being completely redesigned, and not having an iPod connector would not be a deal breaker for 99.9999% of the target market, why go through the added cost?

That's just one of a million possible reasons the '08 TrailBlazer does not have an iPod connector. But rest assured, it's '09 replacement will have one.

Point is, it's a little more complicated/costly than a 59 cent connector. It's not just GM either, Honda's '06 Civic is way more car than the '06 and '07 Accords could ever be. They didn't redesign those till '08.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

But Honda has a completely design every four years whereas GM is on a 10 year cycle. GM needs to be better about things like this to be competitive. The market moves faster than GM

Reply to
Brent

I guess THAT is my real point...GM is not moving fast enough. Today an iPod AUX connector is pretty much assumed.

Reply to
Daniel David Palmer

Our Envoy manual said it could be added by the dealer as a option if i remember it correctly.

Reply to
Steve M

1990 Lumina 1995 Lumina 2000 Impala 2006 Impala 2009 Impala ...every 3.8 years, when you include the Celebrity, this jumps to 4.3 years.

1976 Accord

1981 Accord 1986 Accord 1990 Accord 1994 Accord 1998 Accord 2003 Accord 2008 Accord ...every 4 years

1982 Cavalier

1988 Cavalier 1995 Cavalier 2000 Cavalier 2003 Cavalier 2006 Cobalt 2009 Cobalt ...every 3.6 years

1973 Civic

1980 Civic 1984 Civic 1988 Civic 1992 Civic 1996 Civic 2001 Civic 2006 Civic 2010 Civic ...every 4.1 years

Man, GM is really slow with the redesigns compared to the imports. Can you hear my eyes rolling?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Here's a short list of 2008 vehicles that do not have an iPod jack as standard equipment:

Chevrolet Aveo Chevrolet Colorado Chevrolet TrailBlazer Chevrolet Express (van) Honda Ridgeline Honda Element Honda Civic Honda Accord Honda Fit Honda Odyssey Honda S2000 Honda CRV Toyota Yaris Toyota Corolla Toyota Matrix Toyota Corolla Toyota Prius

Here's a short list of 2008 vehicles that have an iPod jack as standard equipment:

Chevrolet Cobalt Chevrolet Corvette Chevrolet HHR Chevrolet Impala Chevrolet Malibu Chevrolet Avalanche Chevrolet Silverado Chevrolet Equinox Chevrolet Suburban Chevrolet Tahoe Chevrolet Uplander Toyota Avalon Toyota Solara Toyota Sienna Toyota Rav4 Toyota Highlander

Man GM is behind the times, they should get their shit together! Can you hear my eyes rolling yet?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Please remove the 2008 Honda Accord from your " No iPod AUX connector" list.

The one that is sitting in my garage has this connection, as well as a

12 volt power connector right next to it.

They are both located inside the arm rest compartment.

Standard equipment !

Reply to
rav

Oops, I mis-read the website. Yes, the '08 Accord has it as standard equipment. I wished my '06 Civic had it inside the armrest. Is the armrest lockable too?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

1982 F-body 1993 F-body 2003 dead F-body

Corvette C3 68-82 C4 84-96 C5 97-current

S10

82-93 94-03

Silverado

76?-87 88-98 99-06

Get the point?

Reply to
Brent

Sorry, I didn't realize we were limiting the comparison to trucks and sports cars. Honda and Mazda seem to be on 6-7 year run with their sports cars. The last Toyota truck was in production for 10 years. The last true Mazda truck was in production for 8 years....and GM out-sold every one of them year after year, except for the Miata, it typically out sold the Corvette. However, even up till the very end, the GM was selling well over 100,000 Camaros per year. More than S2000/Miata world wide sales combined!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie