Is the 2007 Impala E85 compatible?

Here is a quote from "The Star Press", a Muncie, Ind. newspaper from May 2007: "The car's standard 3.5-liter V6 produces 211 horsepower. A "FlexFuel" engine, it can run on gasoline or E85 -- a blend of 15 percent gasoline and 85 percent ethanol". GM is marketing the Impala LT's and LS's as being FlexFuel compatible. The information on their website indicates that these models come with an engine that is "E85 compatible". I bought an Impala 2007 on May 24th, thinking that the standard engine was "E85 compatible". In my discussion with the salesmen at the GM dealer, I indicated that I was going to be using E85 fuel in the car. Much to my dismay, I read the manual the day after purchasing the car and found out that it was not E85 compatible. You have to check the 8th digit of the VIN number to determine if it can use E85 fuel. If there is anyone else out there who made the same mistake, please contact me at the above email address.

Reply to
freedomlover

Who cares?

You can't buy e85 anyway.

Reply to
PerfectReign

That sort of response has made GM what it is today.

Reply to
Anonymous

Your statement "That sort of response has made GM what it is today.", is very true. They have lost not only my future car purchases for my family but also my credit card business (I will no longer use my GM Mastercard). It's no wonder they are in such bad financial shape. It's sad because they are a major employer in the US.

Reply to
freedomlover

all the e85 impalas i have seen have a logo "flex fuel" on the right rear of the deck lid in plain sight

Reply to
tom

You are right about the logo. Unfortunately, I assumed that the E85 fuel compatibility was "standard" as described in my quote from the Star Press. I didn't bother to check for the right logo. My mistake.

Reply to
freedomlover

You trusted a NEWSPAPER instead of actually asking the dealer? Now you want others who were gullible in trusting the paper to say you should go after GM for false advertising right? For a mistake you made. Yup sounds like the typical attitude these days. "I screwed up, Now who can I sue for it".

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Shep

As my Mother used to say when I was a kid, next time look with your eyes before your mouth (or keyboard).

Reply to
80 Knight

On Jun 18, 1:55 pm, "Shep" wrote:

In my original post I implied that GM was marketing the Impala LT's and LS's as having E85 fuel compatiblity. I did not give you a list of web sites that show that the Impala LS supposedly has E85 fuel compatibility as standard. The message below (my original email to GM) shows some of these sites:

"To Don and Ray: Friday night I purchased a 2007 Impala after corresponding through email with the both of you during the day. Ray was very friendly and helpful during the sale. I did mention the fact that I was going to take the car to Colorado next month and purchase E85 fuel for my Impala. This came up during a discussion of E85 fuel availability in California. Much to my disappoint- ment, I found out that my new Impala will not run on E85 fuel. The information on the GM website and elsewhere on the Internet led me to believe that the Impala LT was designed to run on E85 as well as regular gasoline. Here are some links to show what I'm talking about:

from the GM website:
elsewhere on the GM website:
?noType=0&make=Chevrolet&partnerID=900014&moduleName=sdi&sellingSource=13&zip=91775&subModel=&makeId=001&userType=GMBP&model=Impala&subModelId=66&year=2007&stylePage=true&regionid=&modelId=031&pvc=10920&iPi=1&fPi=4&&newVehicle=trueAlso a description of the engine on the standard engineavailable on the Impala Lt:3.5L V6 Engine (Gasoline/E85 Compatible) This V6 engine can run on either gasoline or E85 - a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline - or a combination of both. E85 ethanol fuel is a cleaner-burning, renewable fuel source made from U.S.-grown biomaterial, such as corn or other grain products, that can enhance the nation's economy and energy independence. This is from a page you get when clicking on the LT model for the Impala. Nowhere does it say the engine descirbed is optional it is clearly indicated as the standard engine for this model."

At this point, I do not know what to say. I have been a loyal GM customer for years, we are GM card holders and this is the fourth Gm vehicle that my wife and I have purchased. I don't think I have received a fair deal here."

I'm sorry that I didn't check for the logo on the back of the Impala. At this point, I think that fact is a little irrelevant.

Reply to
freedomlover

and from the GM website:>
and elsewhere on the GM website:>

?noType=0&make=Chevrolet&partnerID=900014&moduleName=sdi&sellingSource=13&zip=91775&subModel=&makeId=001&userType=GMBP&model=Impala&subModelId=66&year=2007&stylePage=true&regionid=&modelId=031&pvc=10920&iPi=1&fPi=4&&newVehicle=true> Also a description of the engine on the standard engine> available on the Impala Lt:> 3.5L V6 Engine (Gasoline/E85 Compatible)>

Check this out, from your own link:

Engine: 3.5L V6 with 211 hp (standard on LS and LT models) The powerful 3.5L V6 engine in the 2008 Chevy Impala generates 211 hp at

5800 rpm and 214 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. Included and only available with California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York or Vermont state emissions requirements.

Engine: 3.5L V6 SFI, includes Flex Fuel (Ethanol) capability, uses gasoline or E85 fuel (standard on LS and LT models) This 3.5L 3500 V6 Flex Fuel engine, capable of running on E85 fuel, generates 211 hp at 5800 rpm and 214 lb.-ft. of torque at 4000 rpm. Flex Fuel vehicles can run on either gasoline or on E85, a blend of 85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline.Go to livegreengoyellow.com to find the closest E85 fuel station near you.

Reply to
80 Knight

This is the engine that is described when you click on the link for the Imapla LT:

on this page is the engine described as being optional. Ithink I have proven my point.

Reply to
freedomlover

If you use the chart where you found that link it plainly shows that is an OPTIONAL ENGINE. The standard engine doesn't have a link.

Steve W.

This shows it to be on the defaul selection. LS 1LS MSRP* $21,700.00 a.. Air conditioning: front manual, single-zone b.. Applique: woodgrain appearance accents on the instrument panel and door c.. Audio system: AM/FM stereo with CD player and auxiliary audio input jack d.. Brakes: four-wheel disc e.. Cruise control f.. Door locks: power, programmable, include lockout protection g.. Driver Information Center: includes speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature, fuel and trip odometer h.. Engine: 3.5L 3500 V6, FlexFuel with 211 hp

?noType=0&make=Chevrolet&zip=06260&subModel=&makeId=001&model=Impala&subModelId=66&year=2007&y=15&x=12&modelId=031&pvc=10920&iPi=1&fPi=4&&newVehicle=true

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'll agree that section shows it as an optional engine but if you look elsewhere on the website it indicates that the standard engine is a Flex Fuel engine. Also, the numerous websites that I have cited and the Star Press article all show that the standard 211 hp engine is a Flex Fuel engine. Why the confusion? I think it's intentional on GM's part.

Reply to
freedomlover

I think you need to do more homework before buying a car. You said you mentioned flexfuel to the salesperson. Did you ask him/her if the car was e85?

Reply to
80 Knight

If you read my original email that I posted to Gm, it shows that I had a conversation with the sales person about the E85. I told him that I was taking the car to Colorado, where I was going to buy E85 for the car. He never indicated that the car could not use E85 even though we had a lengthly discussion about E85 and GM vehicles.

Reply to
freedomlover

i think if you open the gas tank door it will clearly show flex fuel, i think the cap is also yellow

Reply to
tom

Why don't you go back in and talk to that salesperson then? Writing an e-mail isn't going to accomplish much. If you think the salesperson is at fault, go into the dealership and ask what happened. Bitching about it on a newsgroup isn't going to do much either. Take it up with the dealer.

Reply to
80 Knight