My dad and I are trying to figure out whether to keep or sell our
current car; all input appreciated:
We have an '87 Chevy Celebrity wagon. 2.8 MFI, 113k miles. Runs very
strong, never left us stranded, perfectly reliable, the A/C has always
worked. Quite rusty though-- the doors are starting to rust through.
I checked out an '94 Ciera wagon tonight. 3.1 SFI? (I don't think the
block had MFI stamped on it). 95k miles. Runs smooth and strong.
Power windows/power locks/airbag/ABS. $1800. The owner is a very
honest guy and mentioned:
1. A/C hasn't worked for a couple years
2. gas tank got replaced years ago; the fuel gauge is unreliable, and
swings wildly when there's only 1/4 tank left
3. minimal rust spots, which I saw.
My questions for you folks:
1. how hard is it to locate and fix a leak in the A/C system? The
seller will try to get the coolant recharged (is this car R12?), but
my dad is worried that most likely, the freon/freon equivalent will be
gone in a few weeks/months.
2. how troublesome might the ABS and power accessories get later on
down the road? We usually run our cars into the ground and fix 'em
ourselves, but we're no expert mechanics, and the newest car we have
is from 1990.
3. might the Ciera be less reliable than the Celebrity? I don't know
much about the 3.1 in this model; I don't think it's a 3.1 MFI.
I don't want to kick myself for getting rid of the Celebrity and
buying a car that develops problems; on the other hand, $1500 (b/c we
can sell the Celebrity) seems like a good deal for getting a car 7
years newer. The A/C issue on the Ciera is bugging me though...
Any input greatly appreciated,