Park Ave herky-Jerky and other problems

I doubt anyone is still following threads on this from a few weeks back, so I start a new one. Newcomers might want to read the past threads with approximately the same subject.

I have to report that the second, hopefully correct, air mass flow sensor has been on the car for a week and a half, and my problem is still with me. I'm about ready to take to a tranny shop to have them do some diagnostic work, hoping it's not the torque converter clutch.

Other issues, possibly related: Voltage meter on dash is not rock solid. Most of the time it starts off low after starting, then after 10 seconds or so comes up to a little above middle, perhaps 12 volts. Other times, it starts at middle and settles in well above middle, perhaps 14-14.5 volts. Still other time the red light comes on after start up, staying on for anything between 5-10 seconds to a few blocks of driving. The tech has done tests on both the alternator and the battery, saying they are both OK.

Also, the climate control has not been working right for the last few months. This is a dual-sided system, with separate airstreams for drivers and passenger sides. The drivers side cools and the passenger side heats.

What I'm thinking is perhaps the voltage regulator in the alternator is flakey, and voltage variations have trashed some other electronics.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Ed

"Other issues, possibly related: Voltage meter on dash is not rock solid. Most of the time it starts off low after starting, then after 10 seconds or so comes up to a little above middle, perhaps 12 volts. Other times, it starts at middle and settles in well above middle, perhaps 14-14.5 volts. Still other time the red light comes on after start up, staying on for anything between 5-10 seconds to a few blocks of driving. The tech has done tests on both the alternator and the battery, saying they are both OK. "

Ed,

Have you put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine running? What does it read? Does it match the gauge on the dash?

Your symptoms sound like a classic loose/broken ground connection.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000
"

Chris,

Yes, I've pick up voltage off the cigar lighter with a DMM. Seems to match what the dash gauge shows.

Where would one look for the ground connections on this car? It's a Park Ave Ultra, i.e., a supercharged 3.8L.

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed