Re: 3.8 buick recall

"John" wrote

I guess my question is, how common is this leakage? I've seen a lot about it > in the newsgroups, but of course no one writes about how they HAVEN'T had > problems. Maybe a GM mechanic would care to weigh in on this.

It's been a regular problem since the GENII 3800 came out. I wouldn't say it's "common", you would have to look to the

3100/3400 intake gaskets problems as a good example of a "common" problem.

By the way, don't worry about the sealer that they want to install. GM has been using this stuff for years, and it actually is a "must" for all aluminum engines like the Northstar. The main components are ginger root, and walnut shells, I believe. It tells you what the components are right on the package that you can buy over the counter at a dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"BillW" wrote

Different engine, different gasket, different problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

And yet GM won't issue a recall for those...

Brad

Reply to
Brad Clarke

"Brad Clarke" wrote

Because of the different engine configurations, there may be some reason why they feel the

3.8 recall is more important. I'm sure that there are all sorts of legal, and economic reasons why they do or don't issue recalls.

Just wait a bit, you never know how the 3100/3400 intake gasket scenario will play out. Maybe it will turn into a "special" policy similar to the 2.2 head gaskets, or the Quad SOHC cracked cylinder heads.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Roy G. Bragg

He has conflict of interest on this. My '02 Bonneville leaked the coolant at just 17000mls and needed the upper intake manifold replaced. The dealer where I had this service done told me that they do it once or twice a day.

Reply to
Neo

"Neo" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

I have to agree w/the "conflict of interest" theory. If the 3800's ever had a problem since mid-year 1987, it was this coolant leak. Otherwise, IMO, one of the BEST engines GM ever produced. IIRC, the '85 thru mid-production-year '87's idled rough(we'll not mention trannies, just engines). '87's had a cutting-off problem where they'd replace ALL sensors, in our so-eastern--mid-Atlantic area. Then, '88 was the 1st year of the good-idling engine AND good tranny models. All but that coolant leak--a simple problem that likely ruined many an otherwise good engine. Somehow, liquid just doesn't succomb to compression in So. Carolina. So, that "dealer service rep who says he has not seen any of the 3.8's with that problem" must walk thru the service depts. w/his head in the sand! Now, wasn't that a kind way of putting it??? My "adopted mother" has a '95 Royale--developed the intake leak, at 20,800 miles, evidently while sitting in her driveway. (She drove in & wiggled it around as usual in order to park headed out--all was fine. Two days later went to drive it, and engine wouldn't spin over--locked up w/liquid in cylinders from rad.) Fantastic rings, however, as next to ZERO coolant ever made it into the crankcase. Still have rec't from certified mail we sent to Olds on April 26, 2000(PO Box 33171, zip 48232); we received 2 (TWO) positive responses from TWO separate 'decision-makers' at Olds--both agreeing to reimburse her at least part of the approx.$800 she paid Olds dlr'ship to repair it. Acc. to them, even tho' it was past the time limit on the warranty, the car having less than 21000 miles should, in their eyes, qualify her for help. Somehow, the papers all got shuffled & you know the rest of the story. She's wealthy, yet likes to drive conservative cars; but no more Olds for her! And she thinks Buicks are from the same immediate gene pool. Looks like we'll try a Ford of some type this time--she saw a "4-door Mustang" at WalMart parking lot that she tho't looked nice. Still carefully driving at 89, reckon it's ok to mis-id a car make--heck, at 59 and a career in auto business, I still do. But she needs to hurry, as her orig. tires have cracked sidewalls, even w/lots of tread. Convince her to spend $ for tires?--or anything--on an Olds is ridiculous! Do agree w/many, tho' : putting stop-leak in a new engine doesn't sound very professional. If a used-car dealer stooped to such a measure, he'd be accused of "doctoring" an engine to get it passed off to an innocent buyer. I see little, if any difference. At least they aren't charging for it--yet. Even when our used cars we bo't directly from GMAC showed up such a malfunction, we'd either talk GM into replacing the 'hardware" or else trade back w/our customer, let GM 'fix' them, and send them back to a sale where GM was having a "brass hat sale". We'd represent them as having been recently sold directly by GMAC. So, we never experienced the longevity of the patch, altho' I had no more than little faith in its durability.............................s

Reply to
sdlomi