Re: opinions on the 2003 Malibu

The Buick Century in comparison is much more quieter and the I have often get about 800 KM (600 miles) on a tank of fuel. It has the 3.1 V6 engine.

I have only had 1 repair up till now (tilt steering lever became stuck and that was fixed very quickly).

The price difference between the Malibu vs. Century is very little but the car is much more refined and roomier.

Reply to
XXXXX

I agree. The Century fuel tank holds 17.5 gallons. To get 600 miles he'd have to average 34.3 miles per gallon. The only way I know to accomplish that is to fill the tank to the filler neck, drive on a downhill grade at 45 miles per hour with a tailwind until the tank is empty. If he holds his tongue just right, he MIGHT get 600 miles on a tank.

The tilt steering mechanism locking up is a somewhat common problem with the current generation W-body. The fix varies depending on year and model.

Roger

Reply to
zroger73
45 | miles per hour with a tailwind until the tank is empty. If he holds his | tongue just right, he MIGHT get 600 miles on a tank. |

Perhaps the other claims are/were exaggerated as well? ;-)

Reply to
James C. Reeves

The Buick tank is about 60 litres, and if I divide that by 3.78 litres/gallon, that's approx. 16 gallons.

Reply to
XXXXX

The best I have managed to get so far is 511 km to a tank. The engine has juts over 7,000 kms on it now.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

That's huge.

My Malibu has a 45 litre tank, yet I usually get 46 to 47 litres into it :)

Reply to
Brad Clarke

XXXX

The 400 - 500 mile for MPG on a Century is more believable than the 600 mile a tank range you said in the first post.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~258,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face
400-500 miles per tank is certainly believable since that is about 22-28 MPG. As far as fuel injector cleaners are concerned, occasional use of these products in an inexpensive, preliminary attempt to correct driveability concerns is acceptable. Despite what your buddies have told you or what the manufacturer's claims are, these are NOT "preventative maintanance" solutions and their overuse can actually shorten the life of your fuel system components - not increase them. There is no fuel injector cleaner that increases your fuel economy either. That would be snake oil. Besides, if an injector became clogged then your fuel economy might INCREASE because the engine would be running lean. The engine controller would then attempt to compensate. At any rate, I personally can't see how fuel injector cleaner would improve gas mileage when used as a regular fuel additive. Perhaps you only meant to use it as it's supposed to be used.

Roger

Reply to
zroger73

Yeah, the Century does have a large-ish fuel tank at 17.5 gallons.

Roger

Reply to
zroger73

Well the 600 mile was an interpolation. I basically filled up when I saw the gas station and had driven about 500 miles. I filled the tank and noticed that it was still about 25% full. Given that notion, I estimated that it will give me about 600 miles on a tank.

I have not done the "Kramer" and driven till I was bone dry.

Needless to say, I am most satisfied with the Century fuel consumption and would not hesitate to buy it again.

Reply to
XXXXX

Reply to
XXXXX

XXXX Wrote : I am most satisfied with the Century's fuel consumption and would not hesitate to buy one again...

Don't wait to long, either 2003 or 2004 is the last year for the Century. Its being dropped and the Regal line expanded.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~258,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

| > My Malibu has a 45 litre tank, yet I usually get 46 to 47 litres into it | > :) | | Yeah, the Century does have a large-ish fuel tank at 17.5 gallons. | | Roger | |

I wish my Malibu had a larger tank, that's for sure. Not sure why GM put such a small tank in the Malibu.

Reply to
James C. Reeves