SeVille 1989 Voltage Problem

Hi !!

I need some help, i have a big trouble on my car, voltage is not stable, i have change the alternator (the regulator is inside of the alternator) and the problem continue, when i connect the plug with 3 wire on the alternator, the voltage is between 12 and 16.2 volts, if i cut the little red wire on the plug, i have 11.8 volts but i don't have enough power and eat the batery, the gray connector is for No Charge Lamp and the big Red don't know what it do.

Someone can help me with this ???

thank's in advance for your help

Reply to
Daniel Gelinas

Daniel, I don't understand what you are asking. Voltage output is going to vary depending on what loads are being imposed on the complete electrical system. 12 to 16v is in the normal range. Are you saying the No-Charge indicator light is illuminated when the engine is running?

About the wiring: the heavy black wire(#6AWG) is the battery connection>the small Red wire (#10AWG) is the return from the starter solenoid>the Gray wire (#18AWG) is the power wire to the ECM>the Brown wire (#18AWG) is the circuit to the No-Charge indicator lamp on the instrument panel.

To test the Alt output: engine idling---is the No-Charge lamp lit? If not then>(1st the battery MUST be fully charged)>turn off ALL electrical loads>connect voltmeter to Alt output>run engine at 1000-1500 for 30 seconds or more>check voltage output. The voltage should be 16v......

Hope this helps in some way.....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Higher then 15.5 the Information Center tell me "Battery voltage high" and higher then 16.2 the information center and the digital dash is off, the night all ligths on the car turn to off..

After some test, is i don't connect the small red wire, the voltgae is very stable and don't have any problem, when i connect this wire all electronic on the car come crazy, heater fan or cooler fan turn faster and smell burn etc.. after a trip with more then 16 volts all the time the battery whistle...

this test with all wires connected give me 18.4 volts on the electronic voltmeter.. all wires conencted execpt the red wire give me 14.7 volts

Reply to
Daniel Gelinas

If the test shows 18v, that is way is too much. You have a bad alternator. Whether or not it is brand new doesn't make any difference, there is something wrong with it. Return it and when you get another one, make them test it first. Good luck with this.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt