Tough cuts coming for UAW

You are confusing North American PARTS content with total American content. Don't believe everything you read in teh newspapers. My 2007 Mustang GT convertible as did my 2005 had a NA content label that says 80% NA parts not

65% and it has a '1' as the first number of the VIN not a '4' as does that Sienna

I'll say it again, if you want to find a Japanese car made in the US you need to look at the Toyotas made in the GM/Toyota planet in California, the Accord or Nissan Titan, all of which have a '1.' .

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You have a major comprehension problem Mikey. North American does *NOT* mean American-unless you are one of Bush's pals that are pushing hard for a North American Union. Are you one of those pushing to end the United States of America in favor of a North American Union of the former USA, Mexico and Canada Mikey? Perhaps a guy pushing for North American GM Mikey? Come clean now, you really are Bush's Buddy.

Reply to
Jim Higgins

So the question is do we wait for them to get higher wages or will our wages go down?

Because of the huge differences in pay work is moving to these low cost areas and people in those areas are moving to us as well.

Eventually prices will adjust at least somewhat.

The Big Mac index shows the differences in value of currency.

I bought one Big Mac yesterday for the first time in some years. I notice it is much more expensive than what it was and I am wondering if it has got smaller. One trick people use is to give you less for the same price.

You see that in some cases when workers are made to work more hours for the same pay instead of lowering the wages.

Reply to
Gosi

And what do the "Big Three" pay workers in the rust belt ??

Oooooohhhh... thats right

They've SHED all those workers.

I suspect that even $13 in Kentucky is better than unemployment $$ in Michigan.

Reply to
Anonymous

What color is the sky in your world? LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Unfortunately more are buying "foreign" makes.

Yes not all those other cars are any more reliable than big 2.5 cars but they seem to know better what the public wants. It's not necessarily a more expensive decision either. One thing I notice is that most BIG pickups and SUVs are big 2.5 makes, the often unnecessary vehicle size that is fortunately diminishing in sales. Chrysler is even having trouble unloading those heavy 300 cars, in spite of give away prices. When I look at the Toyota vehicle lineup shown in their ads there is a great variety of selection, much more than the Big 2.5 provide.

Reply to
who

Thing is though, that GM still sells more vehicles then Toyota. Deal with it.

Everything I have heard about imports say they are more expensive to own. Though, I haven't owned one, so I shouldn't say that.

"fortunately diminishing in sales"? Do you have a problem with big trucks? Some people need them for work. Others for play, and others just like them. If someone wants to drive a gigantic Sierra or Ram, what's it to you?

Most people I know *like* the bigger cars. We all buy GM, but we like the big ones.

Bullshit. GM has an excellent selection of cars. You can get small little piss-ass cars, you can get medium size cars, huge-ass cars, trucks (also in small and large sizes), and even a station wagon.

Reply to
80 Knight

If they paid me, I'd still not want to be seen in one of those butt ugly cars. I imagine a handful of people in the Chrysler organization like them and let it be made, but I've heard many negatives about their styling. Small windows, poor visibility, and a big honking chrome grill that just overwhelms the front end.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is apparently true. The gap seems to be narrowing, but GM is still on top.

Most Americans like bigger cars. Understandably, perhaps. The USA has cheaper gas than most countries in the world, and long nice highways. In other countries the big wide gas guzzlers are not so appreciated by many.

Again, GM does make a wide range of vehicles. Their product mix is not the problem. In my mind, product quality and reliability WAS the problem. Now that GM has extended the warranty to 100,000 miles (limited warranty), do I feel better about GM? Not yet...I still fear a 'gotcha' hiding in there. Time will tell.

Reply to
<HLS

Get real, you may like to tout your import brand in a domestic NG but the fact is nearly 10 million of the 16.5 million vehicles sold in the US in

2006 were domestics. ALL of the sixteen or so import brands combined made up the balance.

Those GM and Ford trucks, that you think nobody wants to buy, are the two best selling vehicles in the country, selling at a rate nearly double that of the number one car.. The best selling vehicle in the county for thirty years in a row has been the Ford F150. When it come to trucks Toyota trucks are an also-ran in terms of sales. LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Get accustomed to doors with smaller windows. Every manufacturer will be moving in that direction, as they introduce totally new models, to meet upcoming federal side impact standards. Chrysler just happened to be doing so sooner than some others.

mike

I've heard many negatives about their styling. Small windows, >

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Apparently you have not been reading the latest published short and long term consumers surveys. In those surveys both GM and Fords new vehicles are out scoring some of the best Toyota has to offer. It should also be pointed out the Toyota was the one with the most recalls in 2006.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Dave

"Screw the Customer" is GM's motto, not Toyota's

Reply to
Jim Higgins

There have been NUMEROUS cases where I wish GM HAD recalled their vehicles and fixed the mess they left to me.

Reply to
<HLS

But when will GM recall the dreaded "leaking manifold". ???

Reply to
Anonymous

The did that a long time ago.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Dont lie away nights waiting for this one...

Reply to
<HLS