10 year old Civic problems?

Hi folks -

I'm shopping for a reliable long distance commute vehicle and I think I've settled on a Civic. Will stick to an LX or EX for the extras like cruise control. Probably going to pick up something in the 95-98 range with 100-150k miles on it. Anything that commonly goes wrong with these vehicles that I should be watching out for?

Still undecided on manual vs automatic transmission.

Anyone have problems with the "moonroof" leaking?

Thanx for any feedback ... jim

Reply to
JeB

I'd make sure that the timing belt has been replaced around 90K or so. That's an indication that the previous owner took good care of it.

Reply to
Remco

I think one of the best things you can do for a Honda with

100-150k miles on it that you're thinking of buyin is get documentation of when the timing belt was last changed. If it's about due, then figure that's going to cost you around $400-$600.

Other problems that come up with these Civics tend to be nickel and dime stuff, though the more documenation you can get on maintenance, the better.

This assumes the car has been maintained and not driven hard. As you may know, the best way to verify this is through a test drive and to have a mechanic look it over.

"JeB" wrote

Reply to
Elle

I would be looking at the front axle CV boots with the steering wheel turned to full lock. Also run the AC after the car is warmed up to verify the AC operation. I would feel the inlet and outlet pipe of the compressor (carefully). One side should be ice cold and the other very warm or hot. Good luck.

Reply to
duckbill

With regards to the AC, you should also check for the presence of bubbles in the system's site glass which, if found, could indicate a leak in the system.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Although a 95-98 would have R-134a, and probably no sight glass. (I don't know why no sight glass with R-134a... but it behaves enough differently from R-12 that I don't feel familiar with it.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'd take a good look in the radiator. See if the coolant is dirty. give the hoses a squeeze. Check for water in the oil. Drive it at 65 M.P.H. for a half hour and watch the temp gauge. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't dealt much with the R143a systems and couldn't remember if they had a sight glass or not.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.now:

My 94 Integra GSR AC has R134a and I believe it has a sight glass.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for all of the replies. Lots of good browsing tips. No luck so far in finding something in my price range that i'd be willing to own but still working on it. - jb

Reply to
JeB