Accord Electrical problem

I have the strangest headlight problem with my '03 Accord. The headlights will fade in intensity, off and on very erratically. It will not happen during idling, nor is it connected to speed, road conditions, the climate control system, rear defog, etc. The only time I noticed that it did not happen was during a recent deep dip in temperature.

Any thoughts??

Reply to
Dick G

Sounds like something is resistive and heating up and making a bad connection. Are you running any kind of high intensity lights that draw more current than stock? If both do this, then it's most likely not a problem with a bulb connection itself. More likely a relay problem, or something along those lines. I'd pull the headlight relay and make sure the connectors are ok and making good contact. Also make sure all the vehicle ground straps in that area are ok and tight. If it still does it, I'd measure the voltage before and after the relay. Also flaked out circuit breakers can do this if they have been abused with high current bulbs. The more resistive the relay or breaker, the hotter it runs. The hotter it runs, the more damage to the device to the point they can have a meltdown. BTW, after it does this, feel if the headlight relay or breaker is real hot. Maybe it's just bad plug connections.. Pulling it and replacing will clean the "pins" to an extent. You could also add some de-oxit, or whatever to clean them up. If it's the relay contacts, you'll probably need a new relay. I don't know if you can take them apart to clean or whatever.. Might be

sealed.. MK

Reply to
nm5k

There is a Honda TSB for this. The dealer just fixed our '03 Accord for this problem and Honda covered the cost 100% even though we were well past the warranty period. The cause was some kind of electrical system monitoring device failure. They replaced the entire under-hood fuse box assembly.

Reply to
John Horner

It sounds like you're referring to the ELD . . . Electronic Load Detector. Google will find lots of hits for it.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Great help guys. Now when I call the dealer, do I refer to a cetain TSB number?

Reply to
Dick G