Changing Coolant from red to green for '91 Civic

After an oil change, my trusty independent mechanic told my wife that

  1. Radiator and heater hoses need to be replaced since the Honda Civic is now 5 years old :

$350.

  1. He says that the coolant system should be flushed from red to green. Red is bad, Green is good, Red eats gaskets, he says.

$109.95.

  1. Power steering fluid is dirty and should be flushed -

$80

Good Advice from this chatboard:

Priceless.

Reply to
daytoncapri

I wouldn't do it. The factory OE hoses can last a lot longer than that.

The coolant does require periodic flushing. One common recommendation is to run the factory fill for 45K miles and then flush it with Honda's coolant at

30K mile intervals after that.

Power steering fluid should be done at about every 50K miles or 5 years. It is imperative to use only Honda's PSF as other fluids, especially ATF, will cause the seals in the power steering rack to leak.

I can't comment about the prices you've been quoted but I will mention that it's not too hard to flush the power steering fluid especially if you regularly work on cars. If not, then it might be better to have someone else do the work.

Eric

Reply to
Eric