Fast Idle Valve Disabled?

My Civic '95 ESi (1.6L SOHC non-vtec D16 variant), had a high-idle problem before. When warm, there was suction at the TB lower port (which according to the manual, there shouldn't be). I temporarily "fixed" the problem by blocking off the fast idle valve.

When started cold, the EACV seems to be effectively taking over the role of the FITV, raising idle accordingly. Is this a workable solution? Any ill effects from this?

We don't get winters here, so very-cold-start is not an issue. In fact, on later Civic models the FITV is missing; there is only one TB port, and the IACV (EACV) takes over everything.

Reply to
emil.santos

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

If you never need the additional air supplied by the Fast Idle Valve, then your solution is definitely workable. Later models have a different design of EACV (called an IAC) that assumes the role of all three auxiliary air supply devices formerly used.

However, the usual reason for FITV failure is cooling system neglect. The hose going to the EACV and FITV are very small in diameter and are easily blocked by the sludge that forms when coolant gets old. If I were you, I'd start seriously investigating the condition of the cooling system.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks a lot! Will do.

Reply to