Surprising Insurance Appraisal on a 6 yr old Civic

A few weeks ago, we lost our 1999 Honda Civic due to theft. In this case the thief stole my daughter purse while she was out with friends and they proceeded to her apartment where she attends college and stole her car. It has never been recovered. We had no intention of being in the car market until she was done with college and we were done paying college expenses. Our vehicle was a 1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe with AT and 66,000 miles. It was in very good condition with no other options. The insurance carrier (Allied Ins Group) performed their inhouse appraisal of the car and determined it's value including unused registration fees and sales tax to be $10,733. Minus our $500 deductible off this amount, we were able to replace it with a 2003 Honda Element EX FWD with 23,000 miles on it for $12,988 + taxes and fees. We were astounded at the valauation and our best optimistic guess of value was between $8500 - $9200 in value minus our deductible. Needless to say, an unhappy beginning had a very happy ending.

Reply to
Larry

Wow thats great, my stock `00 with low miles is looking better & better.

Reply to
someone

Honda = high resale value and high theft rate.

Reply to
JeB

Any info

on the `06 Civic hybrid ?

Reply to
someone

I'll agree with the first point, but not on the second.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Cars Stolen Most Often

According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB®), the nation?s motor vehicle thieves continue to find the most popular automobiles as their primary targets for feeding the underground need for replacement parts and for export to foreign countries.

The NICB® has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2003. That top 10 includes:

  1. 2000 Honda Civic 2. 1989 Toyota Camry 3. 1991 Honda Accord
Reply to
JeB

Wait, those are 14 year old cars!

On average those would have 182K miles!

Maybe they have weak locks?

Reply to
Brian Stell

When I was selling my sister's old 1995 Honda Accord 2/3 weeks ago, as I began to tell the caller - it was already 7 PM - that it's my sister's car, he immediatedly asked to talk to my sister. When I said that I am the one who's doing the selling and also informing him, because he asked about the title, that I have the title already signed by my sister, he asked where the car's kept. Because of the way he was communicating with me, I started getting a little suspicious, and hence replied "not far from my place" thinkign that I will just take the car a cross the street and show him. Then, he said he wanted to see the car now and when I replied, "this is not a good time for me", he hung up.

I really wasn't planning to show the car that evening and so when I said it's not a good time, it didn't dawn on me yet of the possibility of theft until, I got a call soon after from a guy with an accent that I couldn't figure out (I am really good with accent , at least to determine which part of the world ). Initially, I gave the benefit of the doubt but he couldn't seem to hold his accent for long and started losing. I forgot what he said and what I replied. May be he asked what form of payment I would accept and I replied cash only. He hung up.

Reply to
amanda992004