02 Elantra alarm goes off on its own

The header line says it all. My daughter's 02 Elantra over the last few days has taken to sounding its alarm for no apparent reason. Obviously, I have no idea what the heck is going on. From reading some other posts, I've learned that the hood not closing completely might be the culprit. I'm asking if anyone else has any ideas what to check next. As a last resort, can the alarm be disabled without disabling any other essential functions, such as door locks, starting, etc? Of course, she lets me know about this at 10:40 PM, just as I'm about to go to bed, and she acts like it's my problem because I haven't yet fixed it. Aren't teenagers great? Mark

Reply to
Mark Rathgeber

My '07 Sonata did the same thing right after I bought it. The easiest fix is to remove the wiring harness from the switch that tells the system whether the hood is open or closed. Mine was on the right fender, near the edge of the hood; not sure where it is on an Elantra.

Reply to
Larry Harvilla

Mine ('01 Elantra) was because of a bent hood. I took a rubber stopper and hollowed out a thin hole so I could slide it over the switch, so that the hood would still close it.

I think the

manuals will list all thesensors, and you can fiddle with them to figure out which one is bad.

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

A neighbors 2007 Sonata had a similar problem & upon investigation it had to do with a wire short circuiting in the space around the steering column. I think it was this forum which pointed us in the right direction...

Reply to
Vineeth

If you don't lock the car with the remote, the alarm will not arm.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

It sounds like a very common problem with the VW Jettas. I finally disarmed the whole stupid, over engineered system. Not the right solution if you want an alarm...................

Reply to
Tom