2004 Santa Fe Smoke/Burning Smell

When sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife for approx 5 mins, I had the car engine off, but the vent/AC was in the on position. I then started the car after 5 mins to get the A/C cold again. At that point I noticed a burning electrical type smell and small amount of smoke coming from the area near the alternator after I popped the hood. I immediately shut things down until the smoke stopped and quickly drove home. Last week the check engine light went on Wednesday and I setup a service appt for Friday, but no symptoms of a problem were occurring. Thursday the check engine light went off and I cancelled the appointment.

I plan to drop the car off for service tomorrow AM for diagnosis, but am curious what could cause those symptoms. It is a 2004 with the 3.5 Liter V6 engine, automatic and 46,000 miles. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Reply to
dudeman135

I'm guessing it was either the alternator (which could also cause a check engine lamp) or the a/c compressor, which is underneath the alternator.

Reply to
hyundaitech