2006 Hyundai quality report from J D Powers

You can have it, and take mine while you're at it. :)

No, I agree. I saw the film too. I'm impressed with the robotics, but even more impressed with the people. One guy was really impressive, and I thought he was a manager of some kind. The subtitle stated he was a "Team Member", meaning a regular hourly worker. I like the way they all seem to be focused on cars, not seeing who can screw the other.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Great comeback, Bob! As soon as I read it, I was thinking "I wish I'd have thought to say that."

That is good to hear. Anyone know when this was aired? I'd like to find it and see if it is scheduled to air again sometime.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
nothermark

UH, do you have any hard proof of this bribery? I think Nissan is the company that you are thinking is crooked!

Reply to
K. Collier

Yes, personal experience. Read the past posts for details.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Hey Matt, here is a link to The History Channel's film. It has 90% of the Sonata plant footage. I viewed it 3-4 times, and noticed different little things each time. Better hurry, I'm guessing they'll be taking it down soon.

Bob Adkins

Thanks, Bob, I just watched it. Pretty cool!!

Looks like the end got chopped off some, but maybe I'll catch a re-run on the History channel and have my mother tape it. I live in the boonies and only get 3 channels on the rabbit ears! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Not to worry, they have a lot of reruns. It's been on 3 or 4 times in the last week at various times of the day. It will probably be run a dozen more times this year.

I never knew that Henry Ford copied slaughter house techniques of the day. He simply reversed the "disassembly" lines they used in the big meat plants. :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins

My mother uses something like Zap2It (I'm sure that isn't right, but it is something like that) to look up schedules for the History channel and said this show had run twice recently, but doesn't show up again in the future for at least the next month, so I may have to wait a while.

Yes, was it Solomon who made some little comment about nothing new under the sun. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

here is the link....you can watch it on your computer..

Deck

Toyota's quality has gone down since they outsourced their American production to GM facilities. Their smaller vehicles also lack value compared to practically anything else on the market - "resale value" aside (I generally don't sell still-running vehicles so 'resale value' means little to me)

Its been going on since 1992ish that I know of (Geo Prism/Toyota Corolla), and its not doing any favors for Toyota.

OTOH, I haven't been closer than 20 ft to a US-built Hyundai, yet.. I wouldn't be surprised if the build quality has gone down - its happened to every other foreign-gone-domestic automaker...

JS

Reply to
JS

Do you have even a shred of evidence to back that up? I've seen data exactly to the contrary. The number of problems per 100 vehicles has been in a steady decline for all regions of the world for last 20 years or so. Some of gained faster than others and the Asians still lead, eith the US behind and the Europeans father behind, but I've seen no uptick in issues in general.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

You completely missed the point, but thats no real surprise.

JS

Reply to
JS

No, I caught the point precisely. You made an inaccurate claim and have nothing to back it up.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Throwing my two cents in.... I think very highly of my new 06 Sonata. The build quality is excellent and I love the car and I'd tell that to J.D. Powers or anyone else who asked because it's the truth as far as I am concerned.

Neither Hyundai nor the dealer has bribed me with anyth> UH, do you have any hard proof of this bribery?

Reply to
PMDR

I've seen older Sonatas and own a new one. The build quality has improved, and I believe it will continue to improve.

American workers are second to none when they are unencumbered by union politics. You can't compare the work coming out of the northern union shops and the non-union shops of Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Yes, I agree that the biggest problem isn't the American worker it is the American labor and management system that is broken. However, having said that, my employer owns plants in Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Europe and the US. And the Koreas are probably the most industrious and have the highest attention to detail of any of the folks I've worked with. That Japanes are very good also, but have more NIH than the Koreas who will "adopt" (some say steal even) almost any practice that they think will give them an advantage.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Unless you took a bribe or made a bribe, then I don't see that you have any proof.

Care to elaborate?

Reply to
K. Collier