GM, Ford close quality gap on Toyota

JD Power initial vehicle quality rankings Detroit's top-selling auto brands, Ford and Chevrolet, have almost eliminated a long-criticized gap with Toyota in new car quality, according
to a closely watched survey released Monday.
Luxury brands captured the top three spots, while Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota were in what amounted to a statistical dead heat further down in the rankings, the survey by J.D. Power and Associates found.
"Have the leading domestic nameplates caught up with Toyota? The answer is 'almost,'" said Dave Sargent, vice-president for automotive research at J.D. Power.
The gap is "as narrow as it has ever been," he said.
Overall, Cadillac placed third with 91 problems per 100 vehicles, behind only Lexus at 84 and Porsche at 90. Ford with 102 and Chevrolet with 103 were both under the industry average of 108 problems per 100 vehicles. Chrysler was well down the list with 136.
Perhaps the biigest surprise was Hyundai, which pulled ahead of Honda to secure the fourth spot on the list and remains ahead of Mercedes-Benz, in sixth.
While three Canadian assembly plants received high rankings in the survey, Chrysler's Windsor Assembly Plant was missing from the list.
General Motors' Oshawa car plant, which produces the Buick Allure -- sold as the Buick LaCrosse in the U.S. -- and the Chevrolet Impala, received a Silver Award for initial quality. The plant averaged just 42 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the survey.
Other Canadian plants listed among the top 15 for initial quality are Toyota's Cambridge plant and GM's Ingersoll plant.
"GM's arrangement to continue vehicle production in Canada has proven to be a sound business decision," said Gary Dilts, senior vice-president of global automotive at J.D. Power and Associates. "This win-win situation has yielded top-quality vehicles for GM and continued employment and industrial output for the Canadian economy."
Leading in the minivan segment, according to the survey of vehicle owners which captures problems in design, defects and malfunctions, are the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. No other models in the minivan segment, including the Windsor-made Chrysler Town and Country and Dodge Caravan, performed above the average, and weren't ranked.
"The survey tracks eight different broad categories with many subcategories and it's not subjective in any way," said Darren Slind, senior director and national automotive practice leader for J.D. Power & Associates in Canada. "Consumers are surveyed after their initial 90-day honeymoon period and after that, it's just math."
Categories include interior and exterior of the vehicles, seats, controls, design, fit and finish, engine, transmission and driving experience, among others.
Two Canadian-made vehicles received segment awards and three others were ranked among the top three in their market segments.
The Oakville-built Ford Edge tied with the Chevy Trailblazer and Toyota 4Runner to take the award in the multi-activity vehicle segment. The Honda Ridgeline, which is built in Alliston, was first in the mid-size pickup segment.
Other highly rated Canadian-built vehicles were the Lexus RX, built in Cambridge, which finished second in the midsize premium multi-activity vehicle class; the Oshawa-built Chevy Impala, which was third in the large car segment; and the Honda Civic, which is built in Alliston and finished third in the compact car segment.
U.S. automakers have toiled and retooled to catch Toyota and Honda in terms and quality and design, but winning back potential customers is a tough challenge. The quality is there, but forging a new reputation with jaded car buyers could take years.
2009 Nameplate IQS Ranking, Problems per 100 Vehicles
Lexus, 84
Porsche, 90
Cadillac, 91
Hyundai, 95
Honda, 99
Mercedes-Benz, 101
Toyota, 101
Ford, 102
Chevrolet, 103
Suzuki, 103
Infiniti, 106
Mercury, 106
Industry Average 108
Nissan, 110
Acura, 111
BMW, 112
Kia, 112
Volkswagen, 112
GMC, 116
Buick, 117
Audi, 118
Pontiac, 118
Scion, 118
Volvo, 118
Saturn, 120
Mazda, 123
Lincoln, 129
Subaru, 130
Dodge, 134
Jaguar, 134
Mitsubishi, 135
Chrysler, 136
HUMMER, 136
Jeep, 137
SAAB, 138
smart, 138
Land Rover, 150
MINI, 165
For the full press release and model by model ranking, see below.
2009 U.S. Initial Quality Study Findings
New vehicles sold by Chrysler, Ford and GM's U.S. brands have improved in initial quality by an average of 10 percent, compared with 2008, surpassing the 8-percent rate of improvement by the industry overall.
Overall, the industry average for initial quality is 108 problems per 100 vehicles in 2009, down from 118 PP100 in 2008. Initial quality for U.S. brands has improved to an average of 112 PP100 in 2009 from 124 PP100 in 2008.
"Even in the face of unprecedented challenges, the Detroit automakers are keeping their focus on designing and building high-quality vehicles, which is a precondition for long-term success," said David Sargent, vice president of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates. "High quality generally translates into reduced re-engineering costs and lower warranty expenses during a vehicle's life cycle. High quality also enhances an automaker's reputation for reliability, which is a critical purchase consideration for many consumers."
In addition to the marked improvement by Detroit automakers, many Asian and European brands continued to perform well in 2009. Lexus leads the overall nameplate rankings, averaging 84 PP100. Following in the rankings are Porsche, Cadillac (which moves from 10th rank position in 2008 to third in 2009), Hyundai (improves from 13th rank position in 2008 to fourth in 2009) and
Honda, rounding out the top five. Suzuki posts the largest improvement in ranking, moving from 32nd place in 2008 to ninth in 2009.
The study finds that initial quality for newly launched and redesigned models in 2009 has improved, compared with previous years. Historically, all-new models have typically launched with below-average levels of initial quality. However, several all-new models in 2009, including the Hyundai Genesis, Kia Borrego, Toyota Venza and Volkswagen CC, perform considerably better than their respective segment averages. Many redesigned models in 2009 also show notable improvement from the previous generation--particularly the Acura TL, Ford F-150, Honda Pilot and Nissan Z.
"Achieving high levels of initial quality in all-new models is one of the greatest challenges for manufacturers," said Sargent. "Now that more manufacturers are getting their launch quality right straight out of the gate, consumers can expect the quality of new vehicles to continue to rise."
The U.S. Initial Quality Study serves as the industry benchmark for new-vehicle quality measured at 90 days of ownership. The study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help them design and build better vehicles and by consumers to help them in their vehicle purchase decisions. Initial quality has been shown over the years to be an excellent predictor of long-term durability, which can significantly impact consumer purchase decisions.
2009 U.S. IQS Ranking Highlights
Toyota Motor Corporation captures 10 segment awards--more than any other corporation in the 2009 study--five for Lexus, four for Toyota and one for Scion. Lexus receives awards for the IS, GS, GX, LS and LX models. The Lexus LX has the fewest quality problems in the industry, with just 52 PP100. Toyota models receiving awards in their respective segments are the 4Runner (in a
tie); Sienna; Tundra (in a tie); and Yaris.
Ford receives three awards for the Edge (in a tie); F-150 (in a tie); and Mustang. Garnering two awards each are Nissan (Altima and Z); and Honda (CR-V,
in a tie, and Ridgeline).
Also receiving segment awards are: Chevrolet Trailblazer (in a tie), Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon (in a tie), GMC Yukon, Hyundai Elantra Sedan, Mercury Sable and Scion tC.
The 2009 U.S. Initial Quality Study is based on responses from more than 80,900 purchasers and lessees of new 2009 model-year cars, trucks and multi-activity vehicles surveyed after 90 days of ownership. The study is based on a 228-question battery designed to provide manufacturers with information to facilitate identifying problems and drive product improvement.
The study was fielded between February and May 2009.
Top Three Models per Segment
Sub-Compact Car
Highest Ranked: Toyota Yaris
Hyundai Accent
Honda Fit
Compact Car
Highest Ranked: Hyundai Elantra Sedan
Toyota Prius
Honda Civic
Compact Sporty Car(*)
Highest Ranked: Scion tC
Volkswagen GTI
Compact Premium Sporty Car(*)
Highest Ranked: Nissan Z
Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
Entry Premium Vehicle
Highest Ranked: Lexus IS
Cadillac CTS (tie)
Infiniti G-Series (tie)
Midsize Premium Car
Highest Ranked: Lexus GS
Acura RL
Lexus ES
Midsize Sporty Car(*)
Highest Ranked: Ford Mustang
Large Premium Car(*)
Highest Ranked: Lexus LS
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Midsize Car
Highest Ranked: Nissan Altima
Pontiac G6
Chevrolet Malibu
Large Car
Highest Ranked: Mercury Sable
Toyota Avalon
Chevrolet Impala
NOTE: For a segment award to be issued, there must be at least three
models with sufficient sample that comprise 80 percent of market sales within
an award segment. There were only two premium sporty models and no large van
models with sufficient sample size, thus no premium sporty or large van awards
have been issued.
(*)No other model in this segment performs above the segment average.
Top Three Models per Segment
Truck/Multi-Activity Vehicle (MAV) Segments
Compact MAV
Highest Ranked: Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon (tie); Honda CR-V (tie)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Midsize MAV
Highest Ranked: Chevrolet TrailBlazer (tie); Ford Edge (tie);
Toyota 4Runner (tie)
Large MAV(*)
Highest Ranked: GMC Yukon
Chevrolet Tahoe
Midsize Premium MAV
Highest Ranked: Lexus GX
Lexus RX
Cadillac SRX
Large Premium MAV
Highest Ranked: Lexus LX
Cadillac Escalade
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
Large Pickup
Highest Ranked: Ford F-150 (tie); Toyota Tundra (tie)
Chevrolet Avalanche
Midsize Pickup
Highest Ranked: Honda Ridgeline
Nissan Frontier
Ford Ranger
Minivan(*)
Highest Ranked: Toyota Sienna
Honda Odyssey
NOTE: For a segment award to be issued, there must be at least three
models with sufficient sample that comprise 80 percent of market sales within
an award segment. There were only two premium sporty models and no large van
models with sufficient sample size, thus no premium sporty or large van awards
have been issued.
http://www.canada.com/cars/Ford+close+quality+Toyota/1721566/story.html
A failure rate of less than ONE percent is hardly a difference at all. One percent is better than the average TWO of all manufactured products.
Why any buyer would spend 20% to 30% more to drive home a Toyota, hoping they will not get one of the two percent, makes not sense at all.
The odds are far greater they will get ONE of the 98%/99% that are trouble free not matter which brand the choose to buy.

Actually the new GM is still on top. GM is selling more vehicles than any other manufacture in the US.
As to what buyers choose by, I personally could not car less where they choose to spend their own money. I simply think it is odd that buyers would spend 20% to 30% more to drive home a Toyota, hoping they will not get one of the two percent, just because they think they are better.
When I was still in retail we liked those buyers would spend 20% to 30% more to drive home a Toyota from our dealerships, just because they thought they were better. Our dealerships, salesmen and I made much more money from them than we did in our domestic stores LOL

Are you really that slow? The old GM was dissolved by the bankruptcy court, it no longer exists.
What part of, "When I was still in retail we liked those buyers who would spend 20% to 30% more to drive home a Toyota from our dealerships, just because they thought they were better. Our dealerships, salesmen and I made much more money from them than we did in our DOMESTIC (GM etc.) stores," did you NOT understand, dummy?

Get real, it "exists" only until the court disposes of and/or distributes the assets that remained to satisfy creditors, as was determine in the bankruptcy , dummy.
The New GM has no connection to the old GM, dummy.

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 00:54:16 -0400, 80 Knight fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Since when were domestics *behind* toyota on quality?
I've always found Toyota (Note the first three letters.) to be dead last in imports in terms of quality.
I'd buy a nissan or honda anyday over toyota. (I did own a Nissan hardbody and a Nissan Maxmia. The Maxima was a nice compact car, its only fault being too small and front wheel drive.)
--
perfectreign
www.perfectreign.com || www.ecmplace.com

They never were. The problem is, the Toyota PR machine has convinced most people that there products are Gifts From God.

Great! Ten years or so of this to prove it's not just an aberration and I'll be willing to think about giving GM (or Ford for that matter) another shot. Until then, not so much.

Yawn. It must be the weekend, because the Trolls are out big time.

I know how you feel. I know they can produce quality IF management demands it and supports it. In the past, their management has shuffled its feet and looked the other way.
This is not to say that GM, Chrysler, and Ford always produced total crap. Sometimes they did. Sometimes they produced cars that looked and ran well, but did not have very good long term durability. And sometimes some pretty darn good models came out.
Management was GM's problem....nothing seriously more than that.