99 Tiburon Trans Problem - Revisted

Allright Hyundaitech..I have a good one for you. You might remember me with all my transmission issues. I took the car to the dealer on Monday and the service manager advised that it was the pulse generators that went bad again. He said that they need to order the parts and he will have them in on Wednesday(today). I called him today to follow up, and he said they found the underlying problem with the sensors going out so often...My "Electronic Control Module" is faulty and I need a new one. He said it is under warranty and he will have it for me tomorrow. Does this diagnosis sound right to you? Per your suggestion, I went to the Hyundai Service Technology website and looked up the tech articles on pulse generators and I dont remember reading anything about replacing the Electronic Control Module. Thanks for your input!

Reply to
andyaztec

It's extremely unlikely the TCM would cause the pulse generators to fail. (Read this to mean that theoretically I suppose it's possible, but I can't really imagine a situation where it would actually occur). It would basically take a short circuit, and would be, in fact, more likely to blow up the TCM than the pulse generators.

It is possible, however, that the TCM is the root cause of the issue. I've not seen this, but it's a plausible solution and I'm in no position to question the dealer who has your car and can physically inspect it.

If you look at TSB 03-40-022, step 7 is to replace the TCM. If you're following the TSB, you've already replaced the pulse generators and the reed switch and the car still isn't fixed. Regardless, it sounds like they're giving the car the attention it needs and don't intend to return it to you until they're convinced it's fixed.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Maybe they are getting tired of seeing my car every 4 months or so. Acording to the dealer the TCM is under warranty still. If this is the case, and this was the cause of the sensors failing, should I ask for a refund for the sensors I paid for 8 months ago. The dealer charged me $180 or so for replacing them, since the sensors are not "under warranty"..or should I just let it slide and be happy Im done with it?

Thanks HyundaiTech..you my friend are "the bomb"!

Reply to
andyaztec

If you're truly beyond the 5/60 period, you should definitely let it slide, because the TCM isn't covered more than 5/60. And you definitely don't want to pay for a TCM. Realistically, I don't think the TCM caused the sensors to fail. You're likelihood of getting them to give you anything is near zero, and they could figure out somewhere along the way that the TCM isn't actually covered. Get out free while you can.

Reply to
hyundaitech

.and thats what I did...So far the car seems to be driving fine, now worries with the tranny. This is the typical situation though, it drived great for a few months and then the issues starts happening again. Hopefully its fixed for good this time. Hyundaitech, you "da man!" At least I think you're male...anyway, next time you are in Huntington Beach, CA, I will by you a beer!

Reply to
andyaztec