dead battery?

has anyone ever heard of a battery having a dead cell and then turning on the defense mechanism of the computer so your car won't start? my stepson's hyundai accent wouldn't start and i got 12 volts at the battery and at the wiring harness to the coils. the coils and crankshaft postion sensor were new. the dealer charged him $118.00 for the battery and now it runs ,where before we got no spark, even if i jumped it with a portable power pack. any thoughts? thanks

Reply to
randypape via CarKB.com

Your dealer fixed the real problem and charged you for a battery as compensation. If the car is running ok you came out rather cheap IMHO.

Reply to
Screwtape III

what was the real problem? and how do you figure $518.00 is cheap! they put in 2 new coils and a crankshaft position sensor and that lasted 2 days . then the battery was next. i think they ripped him off.

Screwtape III wrote:

Reply to
randypape via CarKB.com

Regardless of the other work performed Randy, I still think the charge for the battery was a rip. I don't care how dealers attempt to justify it, but a battery diagnosis is simply not worth what they charge. You can go to any aftermarket auto parts store that sells batteries and get the charging system checked out for free, and they'll install the new battery for you at no charge. This isn't high tech service and there is enough margin in a battery to cover the simple act of replacing one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

my thoughts exactly Mike . inever thoght it was the battery though because i checked it with my voltmeter and was still getting around 12.5 volts there and at the coil harness. then i figured if it was a little weak my jumper starter pak should have compensated for the low voltage because the car turned over fine but no spark at the plugs.? thanks Randy

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
randypape via CarKB.com