Battery problem in QX4

I have a new 2003 Infiniti QX4. If I let it sit for 3 days or more, the battery needs to be charged .. it will not start. I took it to the dealer and he checked the battery. It checks out good on his meter showing no bad cells and a normal amp/hour rating. According to their policy, they cannot replace the battery because their test unit shows it to be OK. Obviously, by the time I drive it to the dealer it has fully recharged.

As I see it, there are two possibilities: the battery is defective and looses its charge over the 3 day period or something is drawing current over those 3 days. Can anyone advise me as how I can test for both of the above problems.

I could always go over to Costco and pick up another battery for under $50 which would be the easiest thing to do if it were a battery problem. However, I would like to accurately diagnose the problem since I am under warrantee.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

Each time a wet lead-acid battery is deeply depleted, it takes a percentage of the capacity away. Discharge it to where it won't start your vehicle 3 or 4 times and you're left with 60% provided the battery was new.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Take it back and demand the courtesy car for three days. By then, they will see for themselves the battery drain on your Q.

Reply to
ppointer

just go to a battery shop and get them to do a free test, i would doubt its a dead cell since ur able to start the car still but if its sitting for a few days and wont start theres probably an electrical drain, get a current draw done and ttake it from there, but before that just make sure all your lights in the car are turning off properly and not draining it, even boot light if u can.

Reply to
Tim

In message , Tim writes

Ever thought about buying a cheap multimeter with a current range up to about 10 amps, disconnect the battery at one terminal and hold one end of the meter on the battery terminal whilst holding the other on the disconnected lead. This will tell you whether you have a drain or no. No drain, blame battery. Drain, draw each fuse in turn and try across that until you find the guilty one.

Reply to
Clive