DriveAxle/CV replacement Santa Fe 2003

I've replaced drive axles/CVs on a number of cars over the years but in looking at the instructions for a 2003 Santa F2, 2.7 V6, automatic 2WD, not ABS, there are about 2 things that are strange... like some advice about:

1) Step 4 says "Drain the transaxle oil", but then it never says to refill it. Do I really have to drain it? Other cars I didn't have to do this. 2) Step 9 says to "Drive off the driveshaft from the transaxle or transfer inner shaft using a hammer and brass bar" and it shows some sort of obscure sketch that doesn't make sense. Do you use the tip to push out on the axle so that the bottom of the pry bar moves towards the center of the car or is it the other way?

3) At the end, it says to put the circlip down when installing the driveshaft/CVs but it doesn't say to click it in place. I assume I should. If so, I have always worried that I'd hurt the bearings in the CV joints, so what are you supposed to hold onto when you drive it in... or are you supposed to just barely engage the splines and then push as fast as possible so that you don't actually jam the axle shorter but instead it has momentum to click into place?

4) I don't really have to detach the hub from the ball joint, do I? Can it just swing out of the way?

While I am in there are there any bushings that often wear out after

160k miles and almost a decade of aging that should be replaced?

Thanks! KW

KWW

You may lose some of the transfer case oil or transmission fluid, but you s= houldn't need to drain. It should only be a small amount of fluid. Just m= ake sure to top off upon completion. =20

You're basically moving the inner joint toward the outside of the car. I t= ypically do this with a pry bar if I'm removing from the transmission or th= e hammer and bar method if I'm removing from the transfer case. =20

The axle is made to compress and expand. Unless you exert a severe amount = of pressure, you won't do any damage. It does help if you orient the clip = as described. Once you get the axle started, you'll need to hold the inner= joint at the proper angle and push inward. It'll take a good shove (and m= ay take a brass or plastic hammer) to provide enough force to get it to eng= age.

No, as long as you take everything else loose (strut, tie rod end). In fac= t, the ball joint is typically the hardest thing to separate, so you're usu= ally better off leaving it attached. Be sure to allow enough slack in the = brake line (or remove the caliper) and wheel speed sensor wiring that you d= on't unduly stretch them. =20

Reply to
hyundaitech