Elantra modifications

After doing a search on eBay, I found quite a few parts for a DIYer to modify their Elatras. I was wondering if anyone had any insights to some of them for example, the air intake mod....is supposed to give a 10hp increase in addition to a small increase of fuel efficiency.

There is also a chip that can added for an additional 20hp but I am a bit leary of that one.

I have also read on here and other forum sites the use of a synthetic oil will boost fuel effenciency as well.

Reply to
mache62

Don't believe what you read on Ebay, as most of it is misleading at best and much of it is just plain lies. While installing a CAI may add SLIGHTLY to your Elantra's horsepower, it would be more in the realm of

1 or 2 (if any) than 10. It may also increase fuel efficiency slight, perhaps 1 or 2 mpg, but that's not a given, either. More than anything else, they change the sound of the engine, which is what some people want, but it's basically like putting a dress on a pig.

The chips sold on Ebay are junk and they don't work. There is a replacement ECU chip called a Powerchip that will increase performance, but it's expensive and it requires that you use premium fuel to get the most out of it.

Switching to synthetic oils in the engine and (manual) transmission can help fuel economy, especially if you live in an area where it gets cold in the winter. Synthetic engine oils remain thin at cold temps, reducing drag in the engine as it warms up. A synthetic tranny oil like Redline's MT-90 improves shifting, especially again in cold weather, since it doesn't become as thick as molasses.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom