Emerency Assistance

From snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net I own a 2001 Accent GL and my Roadside Assistance ran out. I called to see if I can still be part of the assistance policy. They said yes but it is no longer free. Iwill have to pay for it. I hate to join AAA. Anybody ever still use the Roadside Assistance and pay? I dont plan to breakdown anytime soon. I just want to be sure and have peace of mind. Thanks,bob

Kroger Bobb

what's your problem with AAA?

nothermark

They aren't a very good deal.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Depends how many times you use them. Then there are the maps and books.

;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Yes, that is about the only value we really get, although we haven't traveled enough lately to even come close to justifying the cost. It is much cheaper to buy a Road Atlas at Wally World and have the entire country for $5.

I originally got the membership for my wife to have the road service. However, when our last vehicle broke down and we called for towing, we found out about the AAA fine print. It turns out that their towing only covers towing to the nearest "approved" facility. Well, we live in a rural area and the dealership that does work on my Chryslers is about 20 miles away. However, there is a local podunk garage three miles from my house. My minivan had a problem that this garage couldn't begin to address, but it didn't matter, AAA would only pay for 3 miles of the 20 mile trip. I then found out that my insurance included towing and their nearest "approved" garage (which couldn't handle the problem either) was

12 miles away so we got a lot more paid for the second time the vehicle had to be towed than we did the first time with AAA. Fortunately, the intermittent fuel pump was finally diagnosed and replaced and all was well.

So, we plan to drop AAA when the current year expires as our insurance has better towing and now with the Hyundai, they have their own road service coverage.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

What????? I've used my AAA plenty of times and always have the vehicle towed to my house. No problems, no questions. AAA does not have an "approved facility". Methinks you have something mixed up Matt. I too live in a rural area and the coverage of the plan provides towing up to something like 100 miles for free. After that there's a per mile charge. We have the gold coverage so perhaps it's different from the basic coverage(?).

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I have used Hyundai Roadside Assistance under their 5-year free plan, and it was excellent. I suppose it would be just as good under a fee-based system.

However, many auto insurance policies have a towing rider available for a very low amount. I have used mine, GEICO, after Hyundai's expired, and it was excellent.

I suggest you compare what Hyundai would charge as against what your auto insurance company would charge.

Kent

--------------

Kent

My vehicle was already at my house, but wouldn't start. When we called AAA, they were adamant that they only towed it to the first service facility on some list they maintain. They would not pay for towing to the service facility of my choice. We checked with them twice on this, both times the vehicle wouldn't start. The second time we used our car insurance as it paid for much more distance than AAA, but neither would pay for the full 20 mile tow.

Maybe AAA has different plans, I don't know. We have the most basic plan for just my wife. It costs $57/year.

Here is a quote from their web site (we're in the North Penn region).

"Towing When your vehicle cannot be safely driven after attempting any of the listed emergency services, your vehicle will be towed to the ERS facility rendering the service, or at least 3 miles in any one direction from the point of disablement at no charge, depending on which AAA club territory you are in when service is rendered."

The ERS facility that provided the towing was 5 miles away, but they weren't equipped to work on this vehicle, so having it towed there was a waste of time. Therefore, the 3 mile limit kicked in and AAA paid for 3 miles and I paid for 17. Not a good deal for $57/year when you use virtually no other AAA services.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Gold coverage. Flatbeded van from Lewiston to Henrietta. Flatbedded Accent home from downtown. Several jump starts. Flatbedded Ford from Ontario county to local dealer (passed at least two others). Bad ignition sw on van, paid first $100, cost me 15.

It would be interesting to see what Hyundai charges for paid roadside. At least that gets you to a dealer.

Reply to
nothermark

They don't list that on their web site. They only list basic and plus levels in their online brochure. Even more interesting is that the online application only allows you to select basic membership. Do you have to be a member for a certain length of time to upgrade to the plus level?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have had AAA before I had my licence. I have only had to use roadside once (flat on 95 in Maryland), but the discounts associated with AAA have paid for my membership every year. The lenses for my sunglasses run me $217.50, with AAA I get a 20% discount at LensCrafters so I save $43 right there.

Reply to
Farkoff

From what I have heard you need to be a member for X amount of years before you can upgrade your membership.

Reply to
Farkoff

Gold coverage here too. Had a Regal towed on the hook from just outside of Scranton to 30 miles north of Syracuse. That's the tow that went beyond the free coverage of AAA and if memory serves me correctly, I ended up with $75 out of pocket, including tip for the driver. I know it was under $100.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You gotta be good looking.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, it is my wife who is the member, not me. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

leaves me out - fat old and bald

;-)

Reply to
nothermark

Actually it's Premiere now. Used to be Gold and the card was gold. I don't know if it is a regional deal or what. If you go to the AAA web site and put in 14534 for the zip you will see the choices.

Reply to
nothermark

Must be regional. Enter 16929 and see what I get. I don't see a premiere choice, just basic, plus RV and plus. The plus includes much better towing coverage, but I wasn't able to find a way to sign up for plus using the online application. The drop-down menu only gave the basic option. Strange. Just another reason not to use AAA. :-)

I thought they were a national organization, but looks like they are just a loose consortium of regional agencies.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting