Where is the ODB connector on 2001 Accent?

I want to use a PC computer as a ODB scan tool for my 2001 Accent because I am a computer technician, but not a auto mechanic. From what I gather, there are kits which include a 16-pin ODB connector, a interface board, a serial cable and some software. Any insight to my project will be appreciated.

BTW. Where is the ODB connector on a 2001 Accent?

Reply to
accent

From snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net I may be wrong or I my be correct. Check the small button on the shifter. Unless Im thinking of something else. Bob

kroger Bobb

I've had an OBDScanUSB-Universal from

for a couple of years. Not as handyas a small code reader but it provides a lot more data.I've used it with my Sony Vaio and IBM T-23 laptops. Inadditon to reading and resetting fault codes it can recordsensor data while you drive. I've been happy with the unitand they update the software reglularly. This is not the only source for computer interfaced scan tools so do a Google search and compare.

On my 2000 Elantra the connector is under the dash just to the left of the steering column.

Tom Debski

Reply to
Sparerep

I see that ODBScanUSB-Universal includes ISO-9141,VPW,PWM, KWP2000, not CAN bus. ISO-9141 works for a Hyundai Accent 2001?

Reply to
accent

ISO-9141 sounds right. (Is '91 too early for CAN-bus? and what does Hyundai use for 2006? I don't know!). When I bought mine I think they had a pretty complete list of interface vs. car model, but at the time you could buy a single interface unit. I bought the universal and it looks like they only sell the universal type now; and, I can't find an application list since they re-did the web page. It's possible that the box and software were the same for all interfaces but the supplied cable was wired for the one you wanted. The connector is the same but the data pin varies with the interface.

But if you have any questions, just drop them an email. When I've done that I've received fast and friendly replies.

Tom Debski

Reply to
Sparerep

It's just behind the trim panel on the left side of the dash. Crawl under and you should see it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I bought an Equus/Innova code reader to use with my 2000 Sonata. I also tried one by AutoXray. I found that there are differences in fit between the cable plug and the socket on the car. The plug with the Innova reader could barely be attached with a lot of difficulty, removed with almost gorilla force; I was worried that I'd destroy the socket on the car if this continued. A phonecall to Innova produced a modified cable that fits better -- still a little hard to remove. The AutoXray cable attached very smoothly, but the device's menus seemed so user-hostile that I returned it for a refund.

In other words, I think that with these products -- hardware and software alike, the human engineering and the fit with the car's socket matter more than the bells and whistles on the devices.

I've noticed that the software for use with laptops and palmtop PCs are quite expensive. I'd like to know how you make out.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld