Engine Whining/Wheezing

I own a 4cyl ?06 Sonata. I?ve had the car for a year now, 8,000 miles on the odometer. I love my Sonata!

But since my 2nd oil change at the dealership, about 4-5 months ago, the car developped a Whining/wheezing sound that comes from the engine compartment, in general from the RIGHT side, when hearing it from the driver?s seat....

It sounds like an ELECTRICAL motor, kind of a WEEEEEEE sound, and the sound is accurately parallel to the engine?s sound and its RPM, fluctuating EXACTLY as the engine-sound is fluctuating with the tranny shifting. It can be detected only when accelerating and especially at low speed... It does it also when the car is in Neutral and the engine revs to about 2,000-2,500.

Unlike many other cars with whining noise (did some Google search) -- I know my audio system (AM/FM radio or CD) is NOT affected by the sound.

I heard all kinds of theories as to the origin of the sound, like the Power Steering pump, Alternator, intake piping and manifold, even a theory that it?s the Timing Chain.

Also, I noticed that when it?s drizzly and rainy here -- the sound is significantly less pronounced....

My dealer keeps claiming it?s normal, or that there is no unusual sound... Hyundai regional rep checked it and said all is normal... Maybe it?s normal, but I KNOW the sound is not detected on other cars.

Anyone here has some experience or an intelligent theory? I would much appreciate it...

Reply to
mamamia

Realistically, this sound could be coming from anything attached to or driven by the engine.

It's possible that it's coming from the air current in your intake manifold.

Unfortunately, I haven't investigated any similar complaints on cars with your engine, so I have no significant personal experience to offer.

My guess would be that it's coming from the drive belt(s). The belt speed would vary with engine speed, and it would be affected by moisture.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I did use a product called Belt Dressing, and sprayed quite a lot of it on the belt (or rather the lower, large wheel so it gets all over the inside of the belt).... But it made no difference. The belt seems tight enough, no too tight.

I do agree that the sound comes from any of the elements that are driven by the belt.... Like the Alternator, Power Steering pump, A/C compressor...

Or, maybe the Timing Chain itself?

"hyundaitech" wrote: > Realistically, this sound could be coming from anything > attached to or > driven by the engine. > > It's possible that it's coming from the air current in your > intake > manifold. > > Unfortunately, I haven't investigated any similar complaints > on cars with > your engine, so I have no significant personal experience to > offer. > > My guess would be that it's coming from the drive belt(s). > The belt speed > would vary with engine speed, and it would be affected by > moisture.

Reply to
mamamia

This is a defect in the Intake Manifold that Hyundai is aware of but refuses to do anythign about. I have been to Arbitration and now have hired an attorney to address Hyundai's comlete lack of responsibility for installing a defective part on the car and refusing to replace it.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

I wish you hadn't put the belt dressing on. It tends to create more belt problems than it solves.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have heard some cars make a whistling type noise from aerodynamic effects in the intake. I don't recall any in particular beyond the XG, but know there was at least one other. The noise tends to exist only at certain airflows, certain rpm's and certain throttle openings.

While you may find this noise annoying, I'm hard pressed to agree this is a defect. Many vehicles do many things that may annoy or aggravate their owners, but that doesn't mean the vehicle is defective.

I'm not trying to pick on you, wolfclub, but the topic brings up an important point. (Hopefully you understand that although I disagree with your position, I respect your right to your opinion. And in this paragraph, I'm only using your situation as an example of difficulties that can arise.) The purchase of a new vehicle is a huge expense today. Prior to purchase, test drive the vehicle under the conditions in which you would normally drive the vehicle in daily use. There's quite a bit to deciding if a car is right for you, especially if you have strong feelings about what the car should and should not do. Having a $20,000 assemblage of metal and plastic you don't like will be very aggravating.

Reply to
hyundaitech

No offense taken Hyundaitech but the work DEFECT was Hyundai's word not mine therefore I am simply trying to get them to own up to it and resolve the issue.

Personally I do not think it is the Intake Manifold as they alledgedlly replaced mine and it made no difference. The problem is there is an identified condition Hyundai is aware of and they called it a defect so they should own up to it and fix it.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

Not being a mechanic or even an expert in automotives, but if you read my initial post you?ll immeditaely realize that what I?m portraying here has nothing to do with "aerodynamic effects in the intake"....

The noise is evident also when the car is not moving, in Neutral, while the engine is revved to about 2,000-2,500 rpm....

Here is the essence of my complaint again:

The sound is accurately parallel to the engine?s sound and its RPM, fluctuating EXACTLY as the engine-sound is fluctuating with the tranny shifting. It can be detected only when accelerating and especially at low speed...

"wolfcub27540" wrote: > No offense taken Hyundaitech but the work DEFECT was Hyundai's > word not > mine therefore I am simply trying to get them to own up to it > and resolve > the issue. > > Personally I do not think it is the Intake Manifold as they > alledgedlly > replaced mine and it made no difference. The problem is there > is an > identified condition Hyundai is aware of and they called it a > defect so > they should own up to it and fix it.

Reply to
mamamia

I have no clue what your problem is, but I would take a second to shed some light on this post. Intake manifolds are all about aerodynamic stuff. That's all they are is a chamber to direct high speed air into the combustion chambers. The car would not have to be moving - simply running. And of course, if that really were the problem, it would be logical that it would follow speeds and shift points, since both of those affect engine RPM's.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

So, after I will Google it to find out just WHERE I can locate the Intake Manifold, unless you or someone else tels me (I told you I?m no expert...) -- would you suggest any way to actually TEST it and try finding out whether the noise might be coming from there?

If the whining/wheezing is apparent also when the car is in Park, and the engine revved to 2,000-2,500 -- which it is -- could I have someone press the gas pedal, while I?m doing the test?

Thanks.

Reply to
mamamia

One place to find a drawing or photo of components is

Sign up for a free account and be sure to check out the Site Requirements so you have the proper viewer.

The manifold is the big thing on the side of the engine with four protrusions, sort of like half tubes on it. Should be on the front of the car if transverse mounted engine.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Running the car out of gear won't necessarily produce the same sound in the intake manifold as it does when the car is in gear. When out of gear, since there's no load on the engine, the throttle isn't open as much at the same rpm, and the air flow will be lower as well.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have an account with hmaservice. But where can I see the drawing or photograph?

And once I locate the Intake Manifold, how do I check to see whether the noise I?ve been complaining about comes from there?

Reply to
mamamia

I went to our local car show yesterday and met a guy who is going to be in charge of the services department for a new Hyundai Dealership comin gto my area. I told him about my issues and he said he was familiar with the engine whine from when he worked at another Hyundai dealership. He wants me to bring in my car once they open in a couple weeks. This just proves that Hyundai is full of crap when it comes to thei issue.

Reply to
wolfcub27540

Go to SERVICE Then: Engine Components

As for checking, I don't know. Do a little poking and prodding. Just keep your hands away from moving parts.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, the whining/wheezing noise can be reproduced also when the car is in Park and the engine racing...

...That?s why the theory of the whining/wheezing noise coming from one of the belt-driven elements (or maybe the Timing Chain itself?) is more logic, no?

Not that it solves this mystery...

"hyundaitech" wrote: > Running the car out of gear won't necessarily produce the same > sound in the > intake manifold as it does when the car is in gear. When out > of gear, > since there's no load on the engine, the throttle isn't open > as much at > the same rpm, and the air flow will be lower as well.

Reply to
mamamia

If it's produced when the car is sitting still and the engine is revved, it should be a reasonably simple matter to probe and find the area where the noise is originating.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I don't have any problems with my car, but your whining and wheezing is getting annoying.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

"I don't have any problems with my car, but your whining and wheezing is getting annoying."

Well perhaps if you would prefer not to discuss things on a discussion board you should take your stupid A$$ somewhere else!!!!

Reply to
wolfcub27540

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to