2008 Tacoma 4cyl

Hi,

I just bought a 2008 Tacoma 4cyl 4a.

I'm pleased with the truck. Sitting at idle, the engine is so smooth and quiet that I have to concentrate to detect whether it's running.

I owned an old 92 Pickup for 15 years, and the 22R-E engine was not exactly a power house, but was very reliable.

My question is, what is the genealogy of the 2.7L 159hp 4cyl? Does it come directly from the 22R-E block and head, or is it a new design? Does it use the same basic block and heads? What major improvements does the new engine have, if any, over the old 22R-E?

When I crank it, it sounds just like my old engine. So I guess it has some of the 22R-E genes in there somewhere! :)

Thanks,,, -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

try to find your spark plugs...

Reply to
tbuggle

Oh oh...

That bad, huh? Maybe I should have looked under the hood before I bought this thing. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Wont need to change the plugs till 100,000 miles and they are not hard to do. As far as I know there are no parts in the new engine from the old engine , this engine will serve you better and probably longer with the same care you gave your old truck. just change the oil every 5000 miles and coolant every 2-3 years and use the genuine Toyota pink coolant. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Wikipedia.org has them:

johngdole

John,

Yes, my old truck had the 22R-E. My new one has the 2TR-FE, and I can't find a darn thing about it.

Here's all I can find, actually.

"The 2TR-FE is a 2.7L I4 gasoline engine. It features DOHC, 16 valves and VVT-i . Its power is 159 hp (119 kW) @ 5200 rpm, and 180 lbf·ft (244 N·m) of torque @ 3800 rpm."

I would like to know a bit about the design and metallurgy. For example, is the block aluminum, or cast iron? I assume is uses a timing chain rather than a belt. Is the crankshaft forged, or cast? That type info, you know?

Any web sites with that type of info would be appreciated.

Thanks,,, -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Realy, all you need to know is "IT'S A TOYOTA" need anyone say more?

try to find your spark plugs...

Reply to
Frank

That doesn't wash with me. I've had nothing but problems with Toyota vehicles.

Is it true the 2.7L 4cyl is made by Toyota's partner, GM? It could be true, I can't find any proof it's made by Toyota. :D -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I wouldn't say GM was a partner. More like a subsidiary, or underling. Toyota is mother and gm is bastard child.

Reply to
Frank

:D :D :D -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Bob that is so true.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Wikipedia hasn't got much yet on the TR series:

However, the following may help, although the Auzzie model may be different from other regions:

Toyota HiAce's all-new 2.7-litre Twin Cam Multi-valve petrol engine is one of the first commercial van engines in Australia with intelligent infinitely variable inlet timing.

The new 2694cm3 VVT-i equipped 2TR-FE engine supersedes a 2.4-litre SOHC eight-valve 3RZ-E engine.

The 2.7-litre engine has twin counter-rotating balance shafts and a torsional damper rubber in the crankshaft pulley to reduce NVH.

The Toyota 2TR-FE engine delivers 111kW of power at 4800rpm and 241Nm of torque at 3800rpm.

t can be matched to a five-speed manual or electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission and can operate on regular ULP or be converted to LPG operation with Toyota's vapour-injection LPG kit.

Sophisticated features of the 2TR-FE engine include: VVT-i, a linkless electronic throttle, long-nozzle fuel injectors to reduce wall wetting and hence emissions and an air-fuel ratio sensor for precise fuel/air metering.

Reliability and serviceability have been maximised by chain camshaft drive, maintenance-free valve clearance adjusters and electronic engine control.

In addition, the new HiAce engine has direct ignition and long-reach spark plugs for increased serviceability, reliability and performance, a plastic intake manifold to reduce weight and a stainless-steel exhaust manifold with three-way catalytic converter for low emissions.

The intelligent Toyota variable valve-timing system (VVT-i) in the 2TR- FE engine offers infinitely variable inlet valve timing within a range of 45 degrees (relative to crankshaft angle).

VVT-i optimises performance across the engine revolution range and minimises emissions.

The Toyota 2TR-FE engine has "square" bore and stroke dimensions of

95mm by 95mm, for a balance of power and torque.

It has a deep-skirt cylinder block to minimise noise and vibration.

The fully balanced crankshaft has roll-finished pin and journal fillets, for increased strength.

Quality, durability and reliability features of the 2TR-FE engine include oil jets at the bottom of the cylinder bores, to cool the under side of the pistons.

The "slanted squish" combustion chamber shape is based on a narrow included valve angle of 22.85 degrees - to boost torque.

The compact combustion chamber shape offers a low surface to volume ratio, thereby reducing cooling losses and increasing fuel efficiency.

Toyota engineers have adopted roller rockers (with maintenance-free valve clearance adjusters) to create the narrow 22.85 valve angle - while providing sufficient spacing between the camshafts for the camshaft drive sprockets.

The 2TR-FE engine has high-strength connecting rods and plastic-region tightening big-end bolts to maximise clamping force.

The upper bearing shells have an oil groove and the lining surface of the bearings has micro grooves - for optimal oil clearance and hence improved cold-cranking performance and reduced engine vibration.

The aluminium alloy pistons have resin-coated skirts to reduce friction and three special features to reduce piston-ring wear - including anodic oxide on the top ring groove to improve wear resistance, physical vapour deposition (PVD) coating on the surface of the number one compression ring and chrome plating on the number two piston ring.

The 2TR-FE engine has the advanced electrical features of a segment conductor type alternator and a planetary reduction segment conductor starter motor - for increased performance and reduced weight.

Reply to
johngdole

Don't think the 2TR engine has anything to do with the closest displacement GM Vortec 2.9L 4-cyl. The GM engine has exhaust VVT, and therefore no EGR valve; the Toyota engine has intake VVT.

johngdole

Thank you John! That's by far the best description of the 2TR-FE engine I have seen. It's a little scary that I understood every word.

Sounds like the engine is thoroughly modern, for better or worse. I've heard it was designed from the ground up as a truck engine. Sure enough, the torque is much more impressive than the horsepower.

I'm impressed and a little surprised about the stainless exhaust manifold, and a little disappointed about the plastic intake manifold. I can't see it lasting more than 10 years.

I still can't determine whether the engine block is cast iron or aluminum. I guess I'll have to slide underneath the truck to find out!

Thanks,,, -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

The engine goes back to the T100 of which I have a 1994 so it's been around a while. The 94 is rated at 150 without variable valve timing. No electronic throttle, either but it keeps up with everything at 20 mpg around town, 25+ on the freeway.

Reply to
Carl West