How long will a Cat. Converter last on a typical Hyundai SantaFe ???

Im approaching 120 k. miles on my 2002 and am wondering if im wise to replace it before it starts to internally deteriorate ? Same with the muffler which is original (?) .

Im keeping the car till the bottom falls out , so, what do u think ? I hope HyundaiTech will answer too. Thanks.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Any where from 30k to 300k miles. Too many variables to say.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

When cat starts to deteriorate you should be able to tell and even start getting some check engine signals. It may last until the bottom does fall out so I would wait. Same with the muffler. You will know when that needs replacing as well. These are things you don't need to do until their time is up unless it brings you peace of mind. If you lie awake at night worrying about them then by all means replace them.

Reply to
jp103

Check the price of a cat and that may make the decision for you.

IMO, those things are not going to leave you stranded in the middle of the night and they give warning, so why spend the money now?

I've had exhaust systems last over 15 years so I'd not rush. You'd really be PO'd if you put a new exhaust on the car and the bottom did fall out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ha ha...that last comment was a funny one.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Good catalytic converters are very expensive. Do not replace until necessary, and repair immediately if your engine is misfiring.

Reply to
hyundaitech